Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Tyres – switching from 2.0's to 1.5's
  • spacemonkey

Normally use Fire XC’s for everyday trails and Schwalbe Big Apples for XC/roadie sessions. The BA’s have been brilliant but are limited to 2.0 – and I’d like something thinner for more speed/distance. AM thinking about their Marathon Kevlars in 1.5 flavour.

Is there much of a pay-off (because of the narrow nature) on trails, especially regarding grip and general durability? I’m talking more about rooty/rocky/roll-in stuff as opposed to swoopy singletrack.

Cheers

PaulD
    Free Member

Spacemonkey,

I use Kenda Klimax-Lite 1.95″ which come up like a 1.6″.
    They are fantastically fast and low drag, with plenty of grip on hardpack and dry roots….but…they are very prone to pinch-flats.
    They are marked minimum pressure 40psi, and that is too low for a rocky trail….and I weigh 50Kg. Tyres weigh typically 330g for the “395G” model.
    Caveat Emptor for these.
    On another bike I have Kenda Kharisma-Lite 1.95″ and they are nearer to size, work at 35psi and never pinch. Weight is typically 460g for the “495G” model. Winning ticket?
    For all-day trail-centre rides I prefer 1.9″ Kenda Nevegal and Blue Groove Stick-E Folding at 620g run at 27psi.

Let us know what you try and how it works out.

PaulD

spacemonkey

Bloody hell, you run your PSI low – I guess that’s okay if you only weight 50kg. I have mine around 45 normally. Will check out the tyres you mention even though I wasn’t a fan of Kenda a few years back. Ta

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Is there much of a pay-off (because of the narrow nature) on trails, especially regarding grip and general durability? I’m talking more about rooty/rocky/roll-in stuff as opposed to swoopy singletrack

Short answer – yes – massive compromise. You appear to be heading towards one extreme of the scale.

Better answer – yes – but does it matter to you? You may be light enough/skilled enough to cope with this compromise. Depends what you want most and what terrain you ride over most frequently.

Compound obviously has a big impact too.

Personally, I tend towards the other end of the scale, ‘cos time spent fixing pinch flats ain’t making me any faster.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Tyres – switching from 2.0's to 1.5's’ is closed to new replies.