Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tyres 'squirming', what to do?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Just put some Stans Arch on which have pretty shallow sidewalls. Run 2.4 Nobby Nics with a decent pressure in, same as I usually have, but tyres were squirming terribly. Don’t want to run with more air in.

Do I need to use slightly slimmer tyres? Would this sort it? Or do I need to go tubeless as I’m assuming UST tyres have more robust sidewalls?

Don’t really want to go tubeless as it seems like too much phaffing.

Liftman

What psi have you got in them

mrmo
    Free Member

if the tyre as is is squirming you need more pressure.

gut feeling says going tubeless will make it even worse as the effective sidewall will be even thinner.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

From previous experience with Nobby Nics I found there was a fine line between squriming and firm enough. Add a few psi and see how you go.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Rim too narrow for the tyre? (I don’t know if those are narrow rims or not)
    Used mavic 717s with 2.3 tyres in the past and found they squirmed much less when I changed to mavic 521s.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Wider rims.Arches are only 19mm internal width (21mm on ex).I’ve got exactly the same issue.Pacenti tl28’s for me (or maybe p35’s 😀 ).

trail_rat
    Free Member

You werent tubeless before were you ?

Tubed pressures dont transf to tubeless directly

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ll try a bit more pressure but that’d be firmer than I’d like. The arch’s seem wider but much shallower than the DT’s I was using previously.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Tyre definately too wide for the rim IMO. I’ve used a 2.25 Maxxis Ardent (smaller than a 2.4 Nic) which squirmed on a Mavic 719 (same width as an Arch) but was fine on a Flow. I’m also currently running a 2.4 Nic on a flow and it’s ok. Putting a 62mm tyre on a 19mm rim is asking for trouble.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tyres 'squirming', what to do?’ is closed to new replies.