Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tyres (sorry). Which HR2's?
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve been running Rubber Queens on my 150mm Helius for years but I’ve had 3 tyres go badly out of shape (distorted sidewalls/bead) now so I think it’s time to give up.

Looking at HR2’s in 2.3. What’s the recommended compound? 3C on the front and dual compound on the rear?

hoke
    Free Member

Yes. If that’s what you’ve decided on. I’d go with that.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Looking at HR2’s in 2.3. What’s the recommended compound? 3C on the front and standard 60A on the rear?

Yep, or even something faster on the back like an Ardent 2.2 – I find HR2’s don’t roll as well as the original HRs and can be a bit of a boat anchor on the back.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d go with the DHR2 instead, 3C front, dual back. All reports suggest the HR2 2.3 rolls slower, drives worse, brakes worse, grips worse and wears faster. I was running Trail Kings and Rubber Queens before.

HR2 2.4 makes sense though as it has much bigger side knobs, so good in loose conditions, but rolls even slower.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Minion DHR2 is meant to be rear specific isn’t it?

chiefgrooveguru

It’s as rear specific as the DHF is front specific! 😉

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

🙂 so are you recommending a Minion DHF front / Minion DHR rear combo then?

Shackleton

DHR2 both ends if you want some teeth to your tyres. It is a better all rounder than the DHF IMO and just better full stop than the 2.3 HR.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Minion DHR II is a great tyre.

I ran one on the front for a bit but found that it felt a bit slow…gripped well though. I prefer a DHF upfront.

I was a bit skeptical about the DHR II given how much I hated the original DHR, but it’s very good. Easy to set up tubeless too.

I’m a fan in the Minion DHF on both ends too – that seems to be a pretty quick set up.

poah
    Free Member

not had any issues with my HR2 2.4 combo F&R unless you are in mud. know the limits of your tyres.

stevied
    Free Member

DHR2 and DHF are both great but I’ve been using an Aggressor for the last couple of rides and am very impressed with it. Rolls well, grips better on harder trails than either the DHR/DHF and performed very well in some loose/off camber loam.
    Just waiting for an Ardent Race for the back and that’ll be my spring/summer tyres sorted.

philstone

I’ve just switched to an Ardent on the rear but really keen to try an Aggressor on the front.. Just trying to find one!

stevied
    Free Member

^ French have them: http://www.alltricks.com/mtb/tyres-tubes/tyres/maxxis-aggressor-275-dual-exo-protection-tubeless-ready-foldable-tyre-470-266222.html

It’s a weird looking thing when you 1st get it, I was looking at the tread trying to work out the direction (I know there’s an arrow and the name goes on the drive-side) but the tread doesn’t immediately seem to have a direction. I does work very well though

chiefgrooveguru

If it stops raining for a few days on the trot then I might get to try out the Minion SS I’ve mounted on one of my rear wheels – at the moment I keep using the wheel with the DHR2 dual on it. Up front I’m swapping between one wheel with a DHR2 3C and one with a Shorty 3C which between them cover a lot of ground.

The Aggressor looks good – like a halfway house between an Ardent and Minion?

stevied
    Free Member

like a halfway house between an Ardent and Minion?

Way, way better than an Ardent and as good, if not better, than a Minion (on harder packed trails at least)

chiefgrooveguru

I was thinking more in terms of knob size and spacing – looks toothier than an Ardent so better in loose conditions but more closely spaced than an Minion so better on harder trails (but more likely to clog).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tyres (sorry). Which HR2's?’ is closed to new replies.