Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tyres (sorry) for the 3 Peaks Cyclo Cross race?
  • fatmax

I’ve got an entry for later this month, and have recently bought a Boardman CX Team.
    However, the tyres (Ritchey Excavader) seem to be fine for canal tow paths etc, but I think they are lacking in grip and I’ve already had one puncture. They are already losing the tread quite quickly too.
    Can anyone recommend a grippy and robust cross tyre for the 3 peaks please? My current choice was going to be a Panaracer Cinder Cross…any other options?
    Many thanks
    Fraser

r0bh
    Free Member

I believe that these are the 3PCX tyre of choice for many:

http://www.schwalbe.co.uk/active-line/land-cruiser/

chipps

Land Cruisers are heavy though. Assuming you’ve got new rims, then run any decent 35mm tyre at 100psi and you should be fine…

fatmax

r0bh – at nearly twice the weight of normal cross tyres, I’m guessing that the thinking is that they will be bombproof and that the centre strip will roll well on the roads and smoother bits?
    I can see my arms getting battered at 100psi, but then I guess they were going to get fairly battered anyway! Are you doing it this year Chipps?
    Many thanks.
    F

MrSparkle

4 x 3 Peaks all on landcruisers
    0 x punctures
    If it ain’t broke etc etc

stever
    Free Member

Put appropriate sized bigger tubes in too, that’ll help.

fatmax

Any other feedback or thoughts?

crikey
    Free Member

Nick Craig did it on Racing Ralphs last year. I did it on one Racing Ralph and one semi-slick.

I use these all the time, and if it’s not actually raining I’ll be using them on the day.
    You don’t need loads of grip, you need not to puncture when you are tired, so put something massively tough on that will roll well.

rich-c
    Free Member

I’ve gone for Landcruisers heavy as the PPP CX forum opinion seems to be 8 out of 10 riders prefer em.
    I’m 80 kg and will put about 80 psi in but I’m heading up to the Dales on Saturday to experiment with tyre pressures,foam matting etc.

qwerty
    Free Member

Racing Ralph @ 35mm

jonba
    Free Member

100psi? Not sure many cx tyres are rated to that!

I’m going for Maxxis Raze as hard as I dare (about 70psi) and 35mm-45mm touring tubes.

crikey
    Free Member

65 to 70 psi will be fine; you are allowed to look where you are going, and most cyclo-cross bikes have bearings at the front of the frame which allow you to avoid crashing over massive stuff by steering…

starrman82
    Free Member

Landcruisers 80+ psi

sefton
    Free Member

i’ve been on landcruisers for 6mths now without any problems. what evertime you gain from lighter tires you lose fixing a puncture!

minnellium
    Free Member

Yes – any 35mm tyre is good – grip not important for climbing / cornering because it’s pretty grippy surface but grip needed for braking unfortunately, as people find out when they run semi slicks.

Not mentioned here but a PROPER WIDE TUBE will also help stop you puncturing. I run 38-40mm tubes in 35mm tyres at 70ish PSI

fatmax

Having now had a look at the 3 Peaks forum and the feedback from here, think I’m going to go with the Land Cruisers, they sound just the ticket!
    Many thanks folks.
    FTM

rich-c
    Free Member

Good luck to you and everyone else on here doing it 😀

boxelder

i used LCs first time and Cinder Cross second. both fine and cinders much lighter – so I’ll be using those again.
    LC,s much cheaper.

MrSparkle

Yep, that’s the other thing – Landcruisers about £13 each. Bargin.

chipps

Yes, I’m doing it again Fatmax. Not sure on the tyres yet. Racing Ralphs look pretty tempting though.
    Land Cruisers look kind of lardy. I did ride it on tubs last year (without any issues) but I think I’m on clinchers this year.

Sam

You mean i shouldn’t break out the dugast and reynolds?

fatmax

Doesn’t sound as if you’ll fit in Sam, with kit as flash as that 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tyres (sorry) for the 3 Peaks Cyclo Cross race?’ is closed to new replies.