• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tyres on the wrong way round. Make any difference?
  • Ti29er
    Free Member

It's never bothered me before, rear – front, correct rotation – incorrect rotation, but now I've swapped the rotation of the rear RRalf tyre on my 26FS after it seemed "out of sorts" on tarmac sections and can report that yes, getting the direction correct has made a surprisingly noticeable difference (on tarmac).

I read somewhere that people run their NNick on the front wheel the "wrong" way deliberately to good effect. True or false?

grumm
    Free Member

Hire a professional and stop dicking around?

Junkyard
    Free Member

why else would they make it directional then

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Hire a professional and stop dicking around?

A professional tyre swapper?

wombat

Tyres rotating the wrong way can only lead to a horrible and bloody death… 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

A professional tyre swapper?

All premium users get the use of one….sadly mine is Hora

oldgit
    Free Member

I've always ran my rear Ralph the same as my front.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Tyres on the wrong way = incapable of negotiating switchbacks on man made trails.

Or so I've heard.

oldgit
    Free Member

Straight line speed sonny jim, straight line speed.

nickc

The only tyre I've ever noticed a difference was a High roller on back to front on the rear, grippier but oh man, how draggy?

zaskar
    Free Member

Might end up going backwards!

I think some tyres roll better better hence why they are directional and clear mud better.

With CAD design etc, its not a case of making a tyre look good anymore, but actually work better.

Ti29er
    Free Member

It was always to look good with M'cycle tyres! Looks before function.

On the XC routes it made no difference that I could detect, but something was not quite right on my 4hr road rides. Swapping it around and hey-presto it's good news again.

It's made no difference to the front.

poppa
    Free Member

Tyres with ramped blocks behave quite differently depending on tyre direction, e.g. High Rollers and Nevegals.

hora
    Free Member

Tyre wrong way round? Thats my own ride excuse 1,004

Sam

Four hour road ride on a racing ralph? I'd say it'd be worth your while just investing in some more road going tyres. In answer to your question though, it depends on the tyre. Some are more directional than others. Bonty Mud X for example will make no difference whatsoever, something like a racing ralph, perhaps more so.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tyres on the wrong way round. Make any difference?’ is closed to new replies.