Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tyres on a VW Polo – How many miles can I expect?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Google’s not turned up anything I can use so asking here.

I realise it depends on a number of conditions, like how often roads are gritted, pressures, load and so on. But anything that tells you on average how long they’d last and how much I should expect to pay for them to be replaced please?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

|Are you saying Google can’t find you tyres prices for your car?

Probably more dependent on how you drive more than any of the other things you’ve listed. A heavy right foot with soft compound tyres could see the fronts off in 10,000 miles. My fronts lasted 25,000 but the rears are still going strong at 40,000.

Budget £30-£100 a corner for your car.

maccruiskeen

There are too many variables – the front tyres would wear fastest on FWD cars though, if you get less than 20,000 miles out of them something is pretty wrong (tracking, tired shocks, the nut the holds the steering wheel), 30,000 miles is probably a good innings for fronts. Different makes and models of tyres have trade-offs between grip and longevity though.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Yeah, definitely less than 20,000 miles on the fronts I think. Owner’s not been very good at keeping an eye on tyre pressures though. Probably a factor. Most of the driving is motorway and B road. Don’t have a heavy foot either!

Prices are known, just not how much to expect out of them! Thanks for the budget. I’m being told around £200 fitted in total. What sort of tyres could you expect for that much?

jb72
    Free Member

£200 … hoping that’s not for 2? What size are they?

I generally put the details into Etyres and find the cheapest brand I recognise. Local independent place will usually match the price.

stumpy01

Sooooo many variables, but anywhere from <10k miles to 30k miles for front tyres…..
    40k miles for rears.

My Wife’s Ibiza (2 litre 140bhp diesel)has had 2 sets of tyres on the front & I’ve ordered a new set to be fitted this week. The rears are also due to be replaced, but they are the original – the car has done 47k miles; so an average of 23.5k miles for the fronts & 47k miles for the rears.

You say £200 for a new set. Is that just for a pair of tyres? What size are they? It sounds pretty expensive.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would say 10k to 20k out of a set of fronts on a VW.

molgrips
    Free Member

Energy saving tyres last at least twice as long as normal tyres. And whilst originally they were rubbish, they are a lot better now in terms of grip. Not far off ‘normal’ tyres. They aren’t just harder tyres, they are the same type of compound as the premium bike tyres like ‘black chilli’ or whatever Conti call it.

I got 60k from the Michelin Energy Savers on the Prius (which I didn’t like) and about 50k from the Nokian Hs on the Passat (which were superb) – and I only replaced the rears because they were sawtoothed from a broken spring. They were about half worn!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cheers, Halfords are coming up with £157 for these:

Michelin Energy Saver+ GRNX (195/55 R15 85H)
    Michelin Energy Saver+ GRNX (195/55 R15 85H)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tyres on a VW Polo – How many miles can I expect?’ is closed to new replies.