Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tyres – not the usual request though
  • Denis99
    Free Member

I have been converted to using tubeless for over a year now, only one puncture in that time.

Therefore I am convinced it is a better method for off road riding.

Very recently, one on the tyres on my bike, the rear, has started to weep sealant from the carcass of the tyre.
    Appears on the sidewall and the top part of the tread.

Also the bead had started to shift about making the tyre feel like it had a flat.

Took the tyre off to inspect and the sidewall and carcass felt very flimsy compared to a new tyre.

I suspect that the tyre has just aged and the sealant has started to go through a more porous tyre wall.

Tyre is 12 months old, not completely worn out, about 20% left.

Bontrager XR3

whitestone
    Free Member

Sounds odd. Both my wife and I have a Team Issue XR3 on the back and they are both over a year old and no sign of weeping. Probably done between 3000 & 4000Km on them.

woody2000

Do you ride somewhere rocky and graze the sidewalls a lot?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Denis99
    Free Member

Afan & Bike Park Wales.

honourablegeorge

whitestone – Member
    Sounds odd. Both my wife and I have a Team Issue XR3 on the back and they are both over a year old and no sign of weeping. Probably done between 3000 & 4000Km on them.

Really depends a lot on terrain – I ride loamy forest soil a lot, and tyres last ages. Same tyres can last a week in rocky spots

whitestone
    Free Member

@honourablegeorge – the tyres have been lots of places from The Lakes to the Peak to Chamonix, very little of what we ride is “soft” in terms of surface, it’s mostly stony or rocky. There’ll be muddy stuff in winter of course and you are never sure what’s under that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tyres – not the usual request though’ is closed to new replies.