Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tyres for wet Ridgeway
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Maximum mud, or moderate mud?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Oof.

Not a nice choice to have to make!

Whatever will give you forward motion in the clay is probably going to slide out on roots.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tricky one! The wet bits will be wetter than anything otter’s pocket, but much of the Ridgeway is well drained, hard chalk.

Which bit of it are you riding?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

Might be being sent to Swindon again for an extended period so will need to ride in the area.

But any ride will be ‘gravel’y, non-technical and include road too so I guess I’d have to go for the most mud based tyre that will be usable on road.

brassneck

But any ride will be ‘gravel’y, non-technical and include road too so I guess I’d have to go for the most mud based tyre that will be usable on road.

Unicorn tyres really, but FWIW Bonty Muds served me well as all rounders for the Downs for years. Since I went 29er I found just about anything works OK ish everywhere as long as a) tubeless and b) about 25 psi .. but the road work isn’t exactly quick. Stayed on Ikons last year, although to be honest I was doing many more road bike miles.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ikons allowed you to ride on the dirt sections ok? If so I may simply stick with the butcher/purgatory.

Trimix
    Free Member

Massive compromise. Wet chalk is shite whatever tyres you use. So Id stick to general trail tyres. They will be OK most of the time.

Trimix
    Free Member

Actually thinking about it your not going to be able to ride on wet chalk, you will be aiming for the non chalky bits. Which at the moment are going to be wet grass, wet loam or wet roots and mud.

So stick some winter tyres on and aim to have slippery fun.

DavidB
    Free Member

I ride Conti Race Kings all year round in Swindon area

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for wet Ridgeway’ is closed to new replies.