Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tyres for Vassiliki
  • wheelie

I have a 26″ Soul that I will be taking out. There is a fair bit of road riding followed by mostly fire road, and loose stone. I have Mountain Kings on at the moment for the South Downs….any recommendations for anything a bit less draggy?

Raymond

Put a Rock Razor on the back maybe? It’s really rocky from my experience so you’ll want something tough. The conti protection casing might not be enough.

wheelie

Hi Raymond, thanks for your reply. The lighter or heavier Rock Razor? What about front tyre?

tonyg2003

I’d use something with a protection sidewall, reasonable amount of tyre blocksand run tubeless. The tracks on Vass are small loose rocks with plenty of prickly things to puncture your tyres. Also the surface is quite loose. Vass is tough on tyres.

Make sure you ride up to the White Church at least once.

Great place to be especially if you windsurf/sail too.

vmgscot

I’d recommend 1.9’s with canti brakes and 50mm of urethane fork travel – at least that’s what I used last time I was there back in the early 90’s 🙂

Blast from the past…

wheelie

vmgscot, reminds me of my nickel plated Tange Prestige bike which had a straight Columbus fork i had built by Lee Cooper…….super comfy!

tonyg2003

First time ride there was 1998. V brakes and Bombers. There wasn’t a proper tarmac road to Vass and to the white church was dirt jeep track all the way. Judging by how the roads are crumbing away (no money I guess) they will be back to dirt roads in land in a few years!

vmgscot

The bike was a Mountain Goat with Manitou forks and the photo was taken while descending back down to Nidri from some sort of military installation I had climbed to. There was definitely no tarmac inland. It was my first ever mtb holiday 🙂

wheelie

Would something like a High Roller be good for the front?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for Vassiliki’ is closed to new replies.