Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tyres for Tweedlove/Peebles
  • hughjayteens
    Free Member

Not much longer to go until I pop my Enduro cherry at the Tweedlove International and I was wondering what tyres the locals or enduro-experts would recommend I take. Have been using Magic Mary’s this winter and while they’re pretty good in the gloop, they’re very draggy on hardpacked stuff compared with the HR2s I had on before.

I know it will depend on the weather, but I don’t know the terrain there at all so any input greatly welcomed.

leonthepro
    Free Member

Magic Mary upfront and Hans Dampf outback always work well up there especially if they are new cut tracks. A few people have mentioned the Maxxis Shorty but I have never tried one.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Hans Dampf on offer at CRC so will get one ordered.

Cheers

balfa
    Free Member

Still pretty gloopy at the weekend. Shorty + DHR2 for me unless there is a decent dry spell before the event. If there is I’ll switch to a DHF on the front and if its really dry maybe even something faster on the back. I wouldn’t plan too far ahead. Last years King of the hill was completely different on race day compared to the event.

somouk
    Free Member

My bro entered last year and ran a MM up front and HD out back which he said worked well and he uses them in the same area all the time now.

Northwind

Shorty > Magic Mary. DHR2 >>>>>> HD! I’m not doing this one, but I’d figure on shorty/dhr as the default… But yep, it doens’t follow that it’ll be sloppy. First King/Queen of the Hill took place in a heatwave, I’ve not often seen the valley drier, I ended up using something stupid like a nobby nic front, slant 6 rear. 2014 EWS we practiced in pouring rain then it all dried out.

tom.nash

Shorty/DHR2 for 11 months of the year! Shorty clears way better in my experience. If dry then a Vigilante/Trail Boss combo works really well up here.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Cheers guys. I’ll take a few options with me. I could be a crazy and go with a Magic Mary/DHR2 combo as have both of those already….

Can I mix brands and still be #FullEnduro?!

hoke
    Free Member

You guys really think it matters when you’re ednuroing for 137th place?

Northwind

hoke – Member

Absobloodylutely, tyres don’t just make you a bit faster, they help keep you upright, I reckon staying out of hospital is just as good whether you’re a pro or a dobber.

legend
    Free Member

Could be the difference between 137th and 136th!

mattyfez

If it’s called tweed love, surely you should be looking at White wall vintage hipster tyres?

doubledunter
    Free Member

I’d be over the moon with 137th place 😕

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I’m aiming for top 200 so every little helps!!

More importantly, it might help me beat my mates, which we know is the most important thing..

bigjim

is that you gw? that positive attitude rings a bell

Shorty is good, I run a Butcher in the ‘summer’

legend
    Free Member

Can’t be, he’s banned 😉

raisinhat
    Free Member

I had a shorty on all winter and it was fantastic, but the mary has gone on now that’s drying out a little, and I feel like the mary works that little bit better over rockier and more hardpacked bits. I’d have a minion on the front if it was going to be almost totally dry, but otherwise I think the mary will stay on for a while.

Rear tyre is just personal preference. Semi slick if you’re feeling confident, DHR 2 if you aren’t. If mixing tyre brands means not using a hans dampf, then that is a-ok.

onehundredthidiot

I’ve run a HR2 all year, I’ve been getting faster as the years gone on

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Why the hate for the Hans Dampf? I’ve never had an issue with them and found them a pretty good do it all tyre?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for Tweedlove/Peebles’ is closed to new replies.