Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • tyres for the dry
  • alfabus
    Free Member

It’s that time of year again – the trails are bone dry and I’m in the market for some new rubber.

Last year I was using Hans Dampfs, but for general trail riding they are just too damn big and a bit draggy… so I’m thinking of getting something a little faster rolling.

Thinking about a Larson TT or Crossmark on the back, but what for the front? How are Ardents? or Nobby Nics?

Still want a decent amount of grip, especially on the shoulders so I can lean in hard and grip in the lovely loam we’ve got now, and decent enough sidewalls to avoid the tyre rolling and squirming when it is tubeless.

Cheers,
    Dave

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Larsen TT on the back DP 2.3ish
    SP ST Minion on the front, whatever width suits you
    Brilliant tubeless combo for me on Flow/FlowEX

Trimix
    Free Member

I used to ride with High Rollers and / or Minions, then tried some nice big Nobby Nicks – they looked good, light and well made.

One ride on the Cwn Carn XC course had me slightly scared, one ride in the Chilterns was sketcy and I went trail surfing in the FoD.

So I sold them.

Basically they did feel lighter, but the nobs are not ramped, so I didnt feel they were faster. Also the nobs are small and fold over when you really push the bike into corners – which is what I do when faced with a berm/corner.

If you are say a ligher XC whippet I think they will work well. If your heavy and push the bike into turns, then I think you will be disappointed.

Trimix
    Free Member

In the end you will always have a compromise, so pick where you want that to be. For me I gave up some tiny weight saving for confidence.

That matters way more for the type of riding I do.

z1ppy

is this thread the reason it just started to rain here? Barsteward 😉

alfabus
    Free Member

still sunny here (for now)… definitely sunny enough to take my xr-muds off!

Dave

Mugboo

Yeh, stop it you’ll jinx it!

ononeorange

I have just bought a 29er which has Nobby Nics on it and in the wet I find themn terrifying. Lack of any sideways grip whtsoever in anything wet and slippy.

mrmo
    Free Member

you know how i ride, i find Rocket Rons work, so probably not what you want.

alfabus
    Free Member

cheers Mo – I think we might have slightly different needs 😉

robbonzo
    Free Member

how about Conti mountain kings with protection casing and black chilli. Not cheap but im thinking would be worth a punt.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Been riding Minion/HR combo on the big bike for a while. Like the minion so much that I also had one on the front of the trail bike last year (in the lighter 2.35 single ply with stans tubeless). Reckon it’s worth the extra weight and a bit of draginess for the way it handles. If it’s for less exciting trails then I’d just go for the XC bike with Ralphs front and rear.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Super Tack High Roller on the front with a Larsen on the back? Always felt good to me. Now it’s dusty, I’ve just fitted Kenda Slant Sixes front and rear – very fast rolling, but nuff grip too; happy so far 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘tyres for the dry’ is closed to new replies.