Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tyres for Scottish winter
  • danonthehill
    Free Member

I usually go on multi-day hikes in Scotland in winter. This year I am considering taking my hardtail, so that I can spread my walks out a bit and see some different areas. Unfortunately, I don’t have a fat bike or a 29er. The tyres I need will be for on some sections of road, and on off road paths where the snow depth permits. I’ve heard talk of the Ice Spiker Pro, but the price is prohibitive. What suitable lower price alternatives are there?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Spesh storm control. Great in mud, like really great. Acceptable on everything else.

Northwind

If a proper snow/ice tyre is out, then pointy mud tyres. Ie, storms, mud xs etc, things with small long spikes. Barons, Swampthings etc don’t do as well, they lack the penetration.

Have you ridden in snow before? I love it, but it’s quite different. Very hard work, on a regular bike… I went for a local ride 2 years ago that was at most 10 miles, but took me about 6 hours. Postholing through drifts is hard enough without a bike! And there’s a lot of snow that’s rideable, but impractical to ride over distance just because of the effort.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ice spikes as per name are only good in ice …. (i have 3 sets in the house so its not envy or not having used them that makes that comment)

i much prefer narrow 1.8 mud tires (or a cross bike) for snow.

danonthehill
    Free Member

Haven’t really ridden in snow before, but know how difficult it can be just to hike. I’ll leave the bike behind if it looks like it will be a full-on Scottish winter. Currently have on 1.9 Maxxis High roller xc. How would these perform in a couple of inches of snow? Hoping to get some practice in if we can get some snow before I leave.

druidh
    Free Member

The problem with your question is that snow is remarkably inconsistent. It’s bad enough walking in the stuff, let alone cycling. It could be deep powder or hard-packed ice or anything in-between or any combination of the above. An inch or so of soft powder over an ice base will have you off in a second.

By far the most flexible option is a set of Ice Spikers. These will give you some grip in snow and some additional grip on ice. If you’ve not ridden spiked tyres before, they are a revelation. Just remember you’re not wearing crampons when you stop/put your foot down.

Of course, the other option is to go fat. The float will help in a range of snow conditions, but not if you get a very thin layer that a narrow tyre will cut through to a soil.rocky/gritty base. Mind you, fat ice tyres are also now available…..

firestarter
    Free Member

I made that mistake last year druid , stopped the bike tried to get off and landed in a heap lol it was easier to ride that walk

mau00149
    Free Member

A little winter riding teaser. First ride down through fresh snow was so slow like riding through mud. Once it started to get compacted grip completely changed. Can’t really comment on which tyres are best but riding in snow is a good laugh!

Maybe worth hunting out some threads on “what tyres” for the strathpuffer, i’m sure there have been various discussions for it including home made ice spikes.

[video]http://vimeo.com/34926289[/video]

fasthaggis

As Druidh says ,plus the biggest thing ,is just getting used to riding in snow ( and it’s various forms ) regardless of tyre tread . Once you are cool with that ,it can get a lot easier. 🙂

Northwind

FWIW I think with your highrollers, they’ll cut well but you might find it hard to find pedalling traction. (lack of front end grip can be classed as fun, and part of the package, but lack of rear end grip is just annoying)

fasthaggis

Heatwave the last time I was there Mau 8)

PaulD
    Free Member

The comment above about remembering you are not wearing crampons is very valid.

Make your own screw-shoes with hex-headed self-tapping metal fastening screws. Remove them again in spring and you will not find the holes after a week.

Google it.

They really work on ice, and are OK to pedal with flatties.

I made my own snow-ice tyres starting with a pair of Tioga XCs and added 100x stainless steel pop-rivets with steel washers outside the tyre. Deburred the inners and coated with nail varnish. Fine with standard inner tubes, but I would not chance the supersonic variety.

Remember, you need knobblies to grip snow and studs for ice.

PaulD

globalti
    Free Member

The Inuit are supposed to have about 30 words for snow and if you ski or ski tour you’ll know why – there are so many different kinds of snow. There may be an ideal tyre for certain types of snow but a standard 1.8 knobbly like a Fire XC Pro works just fine in most types.

andyruss
    Free Member

Bonti mud x are a fav in our club. Good in snow. We use ice spikers in the puffer and switch to mud x as soon as there is a good enough line

glasgowdan
    Free Member

We don’t get that much snow! Prepare with standard mud tyres and you’ll get by most days

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for Scottish winter’ is closed to new replies.