Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tyres for proper filthy mud
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Where I mostly ride at the moment is either proper wet peaty/loamy mud, or loose rock. At the moment I have a dual compound High Roller 2 on the front, and a 3C Minion DHR2 on the back. The HR has worn really well and still looks nearly new. Conversely, the Minion is pretty scruffy now. Would the HR2 work well on the back with either a Shorty or Magic Mary on the front going into the winter, which is only going to get wetter and slippier. I’m not keen to get two new tyres given the prices, and given the difference in durability am inclined towards the dual compound over the 3C, which possibly rules out the Shorty. I don’t really care about them being slow or craggy up the fire roads or on the flat. Or

stevied
    Free Member

HR2 is not great in wet/mud. DHR2 works better and goes well with a shorty up front

thegreatape
    Free Member

The DHR2 is getting pretty worn. What might be a good but keenly priced combination for front and rear then? Tubeless.

stevied
    Free Member

Have a look on acycles or Alltricks. Very good prices for Maxxis.

eulach

Geax Datura 2.2 £12 or so from on one

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

HR2 on the back in mud is awful climbing, not so bad cornering.

mattyfez

Hans damph and magic Mary?

mattyfez

Get some snow chains!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

For the rear, Panaracer Fire Mud Pro, 1.8

If it’s actual slop….

For the front, something wide and with sparse knobbles, square and grooved if possible. Soft compound.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m still waiting for a fashionably sized Baron (that also isn’t a pain in the neck to seal tubeless). Magic little tyre.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Baron . All day long .

thegreatape
    Free Member

This is for a 650b hardtail.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Baron . All day long .

thegreatape
    Free Member

Cheers

chiefgrooveguru

Sadly you can only get 26″ Barons!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Boo

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

TrailRakers impressed me but haven’t had much call for them,,, yet!

Stevelol
    Free Member

Bonty mud x was my favourite but only 26″. Maxxis Beaver supposed to be similar.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Beaver goes up to 2.25 in 29″, but only 2.0 in 650. I know why some mud tyres are thinner, but this will need to do all round mud/wet loose rock/roots. Is 2.0 too narrow for all round use? I’m not exactly a racing snake 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

Wet/slimy roots and rocks work best with a bigger tyre in a soft compound.

2.0 might be OK if it’s a grippy enough compound, but I’d probably go bigger personally.

colournoise

Pure mud with no roots? Trailrakers all the way.

More mixed mud conditions? Storms?

All-round mud/roots/rocks? Butcher/Purgatory combo (although riding mates liking Magic Mary/Hans Dampf).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pure mud with no roots? Trailrakers all the way.

More mixed mud conditions? Storms?

All-round mud/roots/rocks? Butcher/Purgatory combo (although riding mates liking Magic Mary/Hans Dampf).

With the exception of the Mary’s – haven’t tried them – I’ve had all of those tyres and shorty are better than all of them, on all those terrains.

mactheknife

Currently i am running DHR2 in 3c up front and 60A rear. Absolutely love them. I am quite curious to see how they handle the mud and gloop over the winter. I was about to get a shorty for the front but ill give these a blast first i reckon.

duir
    Free Member

Sadly you can only get 26″ Barons!

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/continental-mondraker-american-classic-eurobike-2015.html

All sizes for the new Baron.

The 2 big gripes with the old Baron were too narrow and the sidewall was not strong enough. If they have made those two updates and it rides as good as the old Baron it will be superb.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The nuclear mud option used to be WetScreams, mental grip in even the worst mud, Les Gets at the end of a week of cats and dogs mud – but they’re a liability on roots.

thegreatape
    Free Member

What about Butcher Grids? They’re coming in at £35 each, and the LBS will give me a bit off that. Looks like the Grid version is a bit softer and a bit tougher.

scaredypants

I have some wetscreams in the garage – whatever the softer compound than supertacky used to be

They were awesome on roots and probably even greased ice but, christ, they dragged like a pair of **** anchors

Do NOT buy spesh control casings unless there are no solid things on oyur rides. Very, very fragile IME. Grid, maybe

Xylene
    Free Member

super tacky swamp things

rOcKeTdOg

Floaters or nates 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for proper filthy mud’ is closed to new replies.