Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tyres for my Car?
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

Where should i go to get new tyres for my car? I dont want to go to kwik fit as there is no love out there for them (see the air con post).

What is with part worn tyres. That can't be any good can it? Where should i go?

I drive a Renault megane.

damitamit
    Free Member

Got mine from http://www.blackcircles.com. Buy them online and they send them to a local tyre fitting place (fitting incl). Good prices.

http://www.event-tyres.co.uk were also cheap and come to your house to fit them! (thou I only saw them after ordering the above)

tron
    Free Member

Look on the tyre websites – black circles, my-tyres etc. to get basic prices. Then ring around and get quotes for ones that are in your price range. I find that local independents generally beat the websites without being asked.

No, part worns aren't a great idea – tyres can be aged even if the tread's good, and the cost of fitting is quite high compared to the cost of a tyre these days.

Personally, I stick to names I've heard of and had good tyres from in the past – Uniroyal, Goodyear, Continental (although I find eco-contacts horrible).

However, tyres are an integral part of the suspension tuning, and so some that work really well on one model won't work well on another. So maybe go and hunt out a Megane forum for specific tyre advice.

Oh, and I'm guessing from your posting name that you may speak German – one of the big online tyre retailers links to ADAC and other german language review sites (there's surpringly little of this kind of stuff in English), so that may give you a good idea of what's good and what's not…

clubber
    Free Member

I use HiQ locally (Bristol, Winterstoke Rd) – they've done really good deals for me on tyres and at my branch at least, I actually trust them ( I get my MOTs there too ).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

If you're in Bristol, Britannia Tyres are (or were) very good. Get decentish makes if you can.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I've used etyres the last few times – prices have been keen and the mobile fitting is a bonus.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I'm in Stockport / Manchester area.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 on what Tron said. I got a price off Blackcircles for the brand I wanted I gave a local place a call (passed them whilst on a road ride…) and they were a bit cheaper and got them in next day. Used Kwikfit before and to be fair they were OK, they're pricey though and don't carry a very good range (at least not that display as available on their web-site).

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Oops – "uwe" is the name of a uni in Bristol!

TBH, I've had good deals from Kwik Fit – last set of tyres 25% off (Conti Sport Contacts 3s which are very decent) and the previous set 30% off.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I'm in Stockport / Manchester area.

There's an Event in Manchester.

http://www.camskill.co.uk were always the cheapest when I look but you have to find somewhere to fit them

Suprisingly, Ebay is a cheap place to get brand new tyres from. A mate used the following place in Macclesfield and saved a fortune on some Falken 452s.
    http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/tread17/

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have ended up booking in to a local garage by work (E&A in Ancoats). Having 4x Dunlop tyres fitted for £220.

£253 from kwik fit.

Thanks for all the web sites – prices are all similar and better than kwik fit and i just rang the garage and asked for a quote (but knowing what a good price was).

beamers

+1 for blackcircles.com

Cheaper than anyone else around including fitting at home.

Very impressive service.

FuzzyWuzzy

Cheaper than anyone else around including fitting at home.

Not unless you're getting a discount off the web price or something, my local tyre place was cheaper (without any haggling)…

Macavity
    Free Member

Blackcircles a Peebles based company.
    Have never used them, looks far too much hassle, and not cheap.

hora
    Free Member

Falkens are supposed to be brilliant.

uwe-r if you don't mind driving pop down to Event Tyres next to old Trafford.

I wouldn't go near Kwikfit- idiots.

zaskar
    Free Member

I found most places will try to price match each other if you ask.

(Went for Bridgestones myself, medium level but concentrating on wet weather grip)

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Hora – why? I'm super careful on my tyres (I watch them fit and balance them) on the Bimmer and not only do they do it properly, it's also dead cheap. 4 Conti Sport Contact 3s 17" 225/45 high load and W rated (so more pricey) for less than £500 – bargain.

Falkens are okay as mid price tyres but they don't last long and wet weather grip is average.

hora
    Free Member

Surf-Mat, a couple of times I used them I had questionable service.

If Event-tyres werent there I'd probably have to use Kwikfit however Event is there…..call them, ask them for a price if you bring a car in (they normally come to you).

I personally dont use Falken but they are cost effective- wear/grip versus price compared to the ditchfinders.

Rich
    Free Member

I just bought 2 205/55/16 Uniroyal Rainsport 2's for £99 from the local Audi Dealers (through Ebay), then an extra £36 for fitting.

Worked out really cheap for good tyres.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

+1 for event, last used in October, good prices, fitter on time and got the tyres well balanced. Had been having problems on the vehicle with tyres being "difficult" to balance at the usual places.

-1 for black circles. Used them about 3 years ago, they have "fitting centres" that they deal with, around here they used a shonky back street garage that I'd never have taken a car to by choice. Didn't replace valves or balance the tyres properly.

Part-worn, nope, wouldn't consider using them for the cost saving over new.

Brand wise I've always found the likes of Yokohama, Kumho, Hankook, Toyo, decent enough tyres in terms of wear & grip vs the more recognised brands.

Won't touch Pirelli with a barge pole, had them a few years ago & the merest hint of rain made them handle like slicks. Horrible tyres.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I've got Falken 452's on the rear of my BMW (255/35/18). They've been great in everything but the snow and I don't think I'd of been going many places in that weather regardless of what brand I had on.

Also know loads of people who have used Event and rate them very highly. It's where I'll probably be going next.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for my Car?’ is closed to new replies.