Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tyres for MTB on rollers
  • tjbike8
    Free Member

Hello I really need some technical help.

My rims are Alex FD-19 29″ Disc 32H. Current tyres are Continental Mtn King II 2.2″ 29er (wire).

I want to get a set of Elite V-Arion rollers if I can raise the funds.

My bike is a 29er. It’s the first 29er I’ve had so my idea was to use the rollers to get used to it and build fitness through the winter nights.

My question is – What would be an appropriate tyre for my wheels, for use with rollers. I can’t seem to find any trainer specific tyres above 700c x 23c. So I’ve been looking at the following slicks that I think would suite the rims.

http://store.schwalbe.co.uk/content/family/7722.0.4.3.35954.106952.0.0.0?pkey=9b5dd1efa5a1b364a55d9502b5e3d05c&ckey=35954.106952.0.0.0

http://bontrager.com/model/00443

Would any of these be suitable, do you have any alternative suggestions, or am I going down completely the wrong path with the ones I’ve looked at?

Any help is much appreciated.

allthegear
    Free Member

Won’t that mean constantly swapping the tyres over?

Can you not find some really cheap 700c wheels and use those instead? Don’t need disc specific ones – no need to touch th brakes on the rollers.

Rachel

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I don’t think you need trainer specific tires for rollers, they are made for turbo’s. Any slick mtb tire will do.

The Elite V-Arion is an excellent roller, nice choice.

I’d second the option for getting another set of wheels as it just makes using the bike both off road and on the roller so much easier.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve always just ran normal tyres on rollers,

I’d probably go up to 28c for your 29er depending on what rim you have just to be safe.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Just buy a cheap road bike for a few hundered quid and use that instead. Saves wearing out your gucci mountain bike as well.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’d say you’re going down the wrong path… rollers are for maintaining your fitness when you can’t get out and ride. The best way to get used to your new bike is to ride it, on the road at first if you’re not feeling confident. A new bike and new to rollers is a bad combination.

pickle
    Free Member

sorry, i’ve never heard anything so ridiculous…….just buy the bike and ride the bloody thing, that’s how you ‘get used to it’

Sandwich

More importantly will it take off?

thomthumb
    Free Member
    tjbike8
    Free Member

Cheers I will probably go with the Michelin world tours.

Sam

Rollers are great but riding a new bike on them is not going to help you get used to it.

Edric64
    Free Member

For turbo or roller work just buy any old working road bike that fits .You should get change from a hundred quid and watch your sweat eat away the top tube
    I also agree with the above comment how the heck are you going to get used to a bike on rollers? Cetainly not how it handles sat there like a hamster in its wheel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for MTB on rollers’ is closed to new replies.