Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Tyres for London To Brighton Off Road?
  • andymc06
    Free Member

I have signed up to the London to Brighton off road event in September. It’s 75 miles on bridleways, old railway tracks and a bit of woodland singletrack I believe. I would appreciate some opinions regarding tyre choice. I’d be looking for something light and fast rolling that I could use afterwards for the extremely rare occasions that the trails are dry. I’ll be doing it on my Trance X3 which has 26 inch tyres currently on the Giant standard rims.

Cheers

Andy

zippykona

Schwalbe cx pro in 26 x 1.3. Dirt cheap as well.

dantsw13

Conti x-kings

dantsw13

Conti x-kings

njee20
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs. Furious Freds will be fine on the day, but not all that much use elsewhere. Once someone sneezes you need a bit more tread.

stanleigh
    Free Member

+ 1 Conti x-kings.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Something smooth that roles easy, it isn’t very technical.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Last year I just used whatever was on my bike already and pumped ’em up a bit harder 8)

Wally

I did this last year, you want almost slick tyres. A hybrid would not be out of place. Many many miles of gravel with tiny bits of wood thrown in. Ace time though with mates.

catfood
    Free Member

I did a fair bit of it on a Pashley a few years back, so nothing too knobbly.

andymc06
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

creedy
    Free Member

Might just do it on my cx bike Andy. On road and off road on same bike. However think my arse will prefer the stumpy for the off road.

andymc06
    Free Member

I would use the cx too if I were you.

creedy
    Free Member

Really or are you being your normal sarcastic self bro!

enigmas
    Free Member

spesh fast trak/renegade combo?

rewski
    Free Member

Did it on small block 8s pumped up real hard

PJM1974
    Free Member

I did this a while back on Spesh Captains. It’ll depend on the weather, but being September it’s most likely to be fair so grip won’t necessarily be a factor.

Captain up front and Fast Trak at the back will probably suffice, plus you’ll have ample rubber endowment to go and play off piste if you want.

You might want to think about a tubeless kit too, although none of my group punctured on the route back in 2011.

eskimonumber1

Did it on small block 8s pumped up real hard

^+1

Painey
    Free Member

I did some of this route last year and did the last few miles yesterday where it’s very muddy but even now you could ride it on something like Conti Race King’s, Schwalbe Racing Ralphs etc. The downs link bridleway is mostly gravel based so is fast rolling.

I’m going to sign up to do it this year as well. I met a friend who was doing the ride last year, brought him some supplies and rode the last third with him. Definitely worth doing he reckons.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for London To Brighton Off Road?’ is closed to new replies.