Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tyres for Delamere in the winter. Sorry in advance!
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

I know i’m gonna get flammed for this. Yes its a tyres question and yes its about delamere forrest 🙁

But, my high roller 2.1 has pretty useless on yesterdays night ride so need something that grips much better in mud and over slippy roots. Not tooo heavy mind. Thinking of Mountain King 11 in 2.4?

curlie467
    Free Member

I ride every week in there and to be honest, no-ones tyres grip on wet roots.
    Don’t worry about it and just ride, better than spending £40 on a set of rubber that is just as useless.

Without trying to teach you to suck eggs, just ride the roots better! 😉

Were you in the fast or slow group? I rode with Tracs last thursday.

mccett
    Free Member

Swamp things or mud x. Til March.

curlie467
    Free Member

Don’t you find Swamp things a bit draggy Tony? Mud X maybe but Swamps i thought were a bit of a chore!
    I have an £8.99 CRC Michelin country mud on the back but it has been on all year to be fair.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Swampthings are awesomely draggy. BUT they grip like snot on everything including wet roots.

To the OP – I have a part-used Swampthing (front use only) wire bead (2.5″? – I’ll have to check), you can have for £15 posted.

agj5(at)aber(dot)ac(dot)uk

😀

colp

Swamp things but go in the cafe first and have some delicious homemade flapjack to give you energy.

😛

mccett
    Free Member

John – The dh versions maybe as I always figured they were a wet dh tyre but the shop had a load of the single ply ones in a couple years ago and I bought a pair just for the winter in the forest. Think there are a few left upstairs, may stock up as I heard they don’t make them any more?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Pah, it’s all about grip on the front and praying on the rear.

Seriously though, mud-x or storm controls if you go down the dedicated mud tyre routes. The Speshs’ are better all round IMHO.

Last winter / really wet season I ride with a Purgatory up front and a Storm out back, this was swapped to a ground control when it wasn’t pure slop.

Mountain Kings are pooh btw. If you’re wanting to stick with Contis, a lot of lads ride Barons.

Saying that, I spent most of last winter on my road bike as Delamere can be a demoralising slog fest when it gets too wet and you just end up trashing the place.

timc
    Free Member

Mud X or similar, why would anyone ride Delamere with a 2.5 mud tyre?

curlie467
    Free Member

aah, didn’t know that Tony! I too thought they were a big DH tyre. 😆

Exactly right Steve, get the front over them and sod where the back goes. It will most likely follow you in the right direction, unless your wheel has fallen off.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I agree that tyres aren’t everything, but I rode my mates 29r with Hans Dampf (?) tyres. That seemed to cope much much better. Most of this is probably down to wheel size, but i cant help but wonder if a bigger volume (2.3 or 2.4)and more knobby tyre would help.

And no i don’t tend to ride in the organised groups as I find the waiting for everyone aspect every 20 meters just too frustrating.

steve_b77
    Free Member

It’s down to the massive knobs on them.

curlie467
    Free Member

That is indeed what creates the waiting every 20 minutes aspect Steve! 😀

colp

Shouldn’t be a problem soon with Winter shrinkage 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for Delamere in the winter. Sorry in advance!’ is closed to new replies.