• This topic has 35 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benji.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Tyres for Cannock Chase / Sherwood Pines.
  • pjflo
    Free Member

Hi all,

I know you will say this topic has been raised previously, which it has and I have come across the threads. However, these have only left me more confused as to where to go.

I am currently running on OEM Bontrager XR1’s, which are horrendous.
    I have some semi slicks for the road, so just need a decent set of trail/single track tyres.

I have narrowed it down to either a pair of Fire XC pros, though I think these may be a bit too thin for my liking(??),
    A Maxxis Advantage for the rear, but unsure what to pair on the front, have heard the high roller being mentioned, but see mixed reviews and I don’t think the tread pattern would be suitable(??)
    Or I like the look of the MKII rear and Rubber Queen (Trail King) front. But could only get the cheapo sport compound, so these are likely a no no(??)

I also like the look of the Minions for the front, but think a DH tyre might be overkill, and possibly kill me uphill.

Any advice, pointers, first hand experience or even telling me to man up and just ride, would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I also like the look of the Minions for the front, but think a DH tyre might be overkill, and possibly kill me uphill.

That certainly would be overkill for a very flat easy trail centre.

deadkenny
    Free Member

They’re not DH tyres really despite the ‘DH’ on them. They work great for all kinds and roll well up front. Main thing I find is Minions have a clear centre channel that cuts through crud without wandering. Though I ride a lot of loose, sandy, loamy or muddy conditions through the year.

Have run them at Cannock, no issue at all.

The proper DH Minions are the full dual-ply Super Tacky version. Very different tyre, and no I wouldn’t run those. A standard DH F single ply is perfectly fine.

Or go with a High Roller. HR2 is a better tyre, but it is draggy. Great for descents though. Standard HR, well, rolls. Or if you want a little more motorway trail style, try an Ardent. I have one on my HT, though I only run it on the rear and still use a Minion up front.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both with 2.1 advantage on both ends. They will be fine. They also survived perfectly well in the peaks.

momo

I’m going to Pines tonight, will be running Spesh Butcher/Purgatory combo as it’s what’s on the bike already. Used to run fire XCs for years, always liked them, nice and predictable level of grip while still being reasonably fast rolling.

Avoid anything supertacky and you’ll be fine.

pjflo
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the quick replies.

Would a single ply maxxis hold up well enough, or will I be consistently nervous about punctures?

I think I’m either going to get the Fire Pros as a set from merlincycles for £45 including two tubes.

Or a HR single ply 2.35 front tyre (60a) and an Advantage 2.25 (70a) rear.
    Is there any real difference between the standard Advantage and the “Exception Series”?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My current favourite is the Ardent in the EXO, tough but fast rolling and grippy.

prawny

My Voodoo came with Ardents, very impressed so far

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I run Racing Ralphs around both areas at 22psi & have never had a problem.
    If it’s wet I’ll go for something with a touch more tread, but you never need much around either.
    ( Until this time last year, I lived on the back edge of Sherwood Pines, so road there often)

deadkenny
    Free Member

pjflo – Member

Would a single ply maxxis hold up well enough, or will I be consistently nervous about punctures?

Will be fine. Though if you’re running tubes you can get a pinch flat at any time wherever you ride regardless of the tyre. Tubeless should be no problem and nothing there really to punch a big enough hole that sealant wouldn’t deal with.

I’d only run dual ply for flinty DH stuff and even then I get away with single ply EXO which has reinforced sidewalls.

I’d have no hesitation riding my skinny steel HT at Cannock, wearing it’s current Fire XC’s

st

You’re going to have to be riding like a mong to worry about pinch punctures on the Chase. They happen from time to time but we only have a handful of rock sections on the official trails and with decent pressure (say 30 psi) it shouldn’t be an issue.

I have to admit to not riding our official trails as much as I ride elsewhere in the forest but at the moment I’ve got a Spesh Purgatory (2 Bliss) up font and an One One Smorgasboard (Trail) on the rear and they work fine for me. The On One is a bit crap in the winter mud but then it’s no mud tyre. On my last bike I had I had Purgatorys front and rear which I liked.

In the past I’ve also quite happily run a super tacky single ply Swampthing up front, it’s not that fast but worked well for me.

Bonty XR4s used to be popular with our group, one or two seem to like Scwhable Hans Dampfs now but they seem like a very big tyre.

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

man up and just ride

My last lap round Pines was on 700×35 Smart Sams!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Get the tyres that are the best deal for you and just get used to riding them in all conditions and all surfaces unless you are after real specific tyres for specific requirements. I’m still running old BC Rubber Queens on my hardtail all over the Chase …..also have ran minnions in the past, they all slide on the smooth pebbles when your pushing as hard as you dare…….it’s all part of learning the art of bike control and eking out grip on mmuddy climbs at non trail centres.
    It’s my theory anyway, just go ride and enjoy.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Just a thought to qualify the above …..Ardent on the front in winter mud = no grip/ lethal but that’s the only one I couldn’t cope with 😆

prawny

Should have qualified, my ardents are single ply and I ride the chase official trials almost exclusively, I use between 20-25 psi and so far have had no flats (touching wood with my elbows while I type)

dirtydog
    Free Member

If you go Maxxis and can afford it, get the Exo version of whatever it is you buy.

As well as offering greater puncture resistance EXO sidewalls give greater support which allows the use of lower tyre pressures, having said that, a standard single ply Dhf will be absolutely fine, been running Minion Dhf s for years in various guises.

grenosteve
    Free Member

Before I switched to a 29er, I always ran fire xc front and rear. Spot on for where you want to ride TBH, and good value.

pjflo
    Free Member

Thanks guys,
    Your input has been greatly appreciated.

I am going to price up a High Roller and Advantage as an f/r pair
    and will either get them or the Fire Pro’s based on which comes up cheaper.

I’ll probably lean more towards the Maxxis if they are roughly the same price, purely because I think the fire pro’s are quite skinny and Maxxis seem to be championed by the masses.

Thanks again!

Mantastic
    Free Member

If you get the wrong tyres you will die

bigdean

Have run on one (chunky monkey front/ smorgersboard rear) tyres around the pines and ardent f&r. Wouldnt recomend ardent on the front in the mud though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Thunder Burts on my last pines lap, was snuff dry

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Have a look on Next Day Tyres. They have so much in stock and all reasonably priced. I picked up a tubeless exo blah blah ardent and HR II for under £60.

pjflo
    Free Member

Wow great forum, lots of helpful advise!

Will check out next day tyres.
    I usually figure out what a want and then check CRC, merlin, planetx and wiggle for the best price.

@Mantastic, that is what I was afraid of.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

schwalbe cheapest at bike-discount.de
    maxxis cheap at stif

reedspeed
    Free Member

Ya want an Avon Ditchfinder ont front,& a Dunlop high side ont back ,then “let her rip,tater chip !”.

pjflo
    Free Member

Double post.

extremenik
    Free Member

Local to pines and ride have rode pines and Cannock lots.

You wont get pinch flats at either unless you and your bike are set up wrong!

Hi roller and Minion combos in super tacky dual ply are the only tyres i use on my Dh in this country and France.

When I moved over to trail riding i started running 2.4 Advantage single ply front and rear. Found them slow but plenty of grip and moved to Ardents Exo which I have run for 2 years at lots of places in England, Wales and Scotland and find them great. I did leave the minion on the front after France last summer and find it trying to slid out alot at Llandegla, so went back to Ardent front and rear.

As much as both centres are flatish Cannock has the polished stones that can change the feeling of your tyres gripping in the wet.

I find that if i hold in with the Ardents and they will always grip.

Wont mention pressue as others do because everyone weighs/ride different.

I’m 18 stone and never had a pinch flat or other puncture – and I ride the Black bits at Cannock which are the only bits from both centres where you should get pinch flats.

pjflo
    Free Member

I mostly ride in the black route at Sherwood. They have added two new, slightly more technical, bits to the red route though. Which is promising.

Will be first time at Cannock so not sure what to expect. Have heard about the pebbles though.

Not convinced by the ardents. Just don’t like the tread pattern if I’m honest.

I ride Sherwood a fair bit and also lots of natrual stuff in the peaks and around Sheffield. I have settled on 2.4 Rubber Queen on the front and a 2.25 Addvantage on the rear.

extremenik
    Free Member

Not being funny, but by venturing further a field you will find there is no Black route at Pines!

pjflo
    Free Member

@extremenik
    At least that’s one post we can count as fact.

pjflo
    Free Member

Should I avoid a 70a tyre?

pjflo
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.

I have ordered a 2.35 High Roller 60a and a 2.1 Advantage exception series.

If anyone is interested I’m riding a 2012 Trek 6000, upgraded with a rockshox sid fork and m780 chainset. 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

At Cannock; 2.1 Ralphs or Rons on the XC hard tail.

benji
    Free Member

Rocket ron front with a thunder Burt on the back, not a problem at either pines or cannock. Black route at Pines, best joke I’ve heard all year, it’s fine on a cross bike round there.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for Cannock Chase / Sherwood Pines.’ is closed to new replies.