Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tyres for all.
  • Hob-Nob
    Free Member

As i’m getting a bit fed up trying to find something that works.

I’ve been running UST 2.35 single ply High Rollers, but they are the 42a ST compound. Great for grip on the fun bits but make everything else a real slog.

So, i’d be happy to drop down to a 2.1 tyre, again needs to be UST compatable. The Crossmark seems to tick most of the boxes, but how do they perform out there? I’m not expecting similar levels of grip, but I have also run some Continental Vertical Pro UST tyres & they really did scare me…

This is my do it all bike, so they need to be able to take a bit of stick on the downs, as my riding is perhaps focussed a bit more towards the gravity end of the scale.

Or am I just looking for the one tyre that everyone else is, you know, the one that exists only in an ideal world?

MrNutt
    Free Member

High Rollers in the LUST, job done.

solamanda
    Free Member

Try 60a highroller single plys. Even one on the rear will make a big difference in rolling speed. I run them for everything but proper dh and they’re probably the best compromise trail tyre. I run the standard tyres as tubeless with sealant with no issues.

STATO
    Free Member

I run a monorail (margainly more grippy than a crossmark) on the front and a crossmark on the back.

TBH they are great tyres but they do have limits.

Off-camber stuff can be very tricky if its wet/muddy as there arnt really any sideblocks.
    Loose gravel/dirt can be a bit sketchy as the tyre has nothing to dig in with, loose gravelly chutes can be downright scary!

Ive used them in most conditions now, from summer in wales (ie. wet grass and gloopy mud), rocky trailcentres, rooty singletrack, all was handled with ease, but the best bit… hardpack or soft (but not sticky) mud they fly!

fingerbike
    Free Member

Panaracer Smoke and Dart. 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

I changed my 2x 42a UST high rollers to a Spesh Roller RS with stans on the rear, a bit quicker rolling but got rid of both and now run Bonty Jones ACX TLR, 2.35. Seem a good allrounder, not gone anywhere proper rocky yet but sidewalls dont seem too flimsy and pumped up straight away on 819s.

I got good price from Swinnertons Cycles.

http://bontrager.com/model/02863/en

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

In really varied conditions I’ve been using Bonty muds and they have been really good in;

snow!
    mud
    frozen ground
    wet
    mud
    etc,etc.

That said I’m also using Nobby Nics on my other bike and they have been good too.

Both are run tubeless.

muggomagic

Go LUST on the HR’s. Mine took some getting used to (it took me a while to get a bit fitter), but now I’m pretty happy that they are the best match of weight, rolling resistance and grip.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Just to check, is it the 2.35″ LUST HR’s you are all mentioning?

They seem to be the only LUST High Rollers I can find. I’ve had a look but there doesn’t appear to be much info about the compound of these either. Again, in an ideal world I would like them to be 60a as 42a is just too soft on a trail bike.

scruff
    Free Member

I had UST 2.35 Supertaky High Rollers., not Lust. I dotn think lightening em up will make them fast rolling, as they are still made of glue at 42a.

devs
    Free Member

60a LUST HR.
    I’m just about to try a 60a LUST on the front and a 70a LUST HR on the back of the Gonad to try and maximise grip and lower rolling resistance and wear. I seem to be pretty good at making semi slick HRs on the back wheel!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ok, next question, where the hell are you buying them from? Haha.

The usual outlets list a LUST HR, but gives zero choice of compound. However, everyone appears to be out of stock until the end of the month regardless.

dobo
    Free Member

bonty acx 2.2

james
    Free Member

“Try 60a highroller single plys”
    Or save another 150-200g (per tyre) and get the kevlar folding 60a 2.35″ ones? and Ghetto tubeless if you don’t want tubes

Else if you want a UST/LUST version, then swap (at the least the rear) to a 60A medium compound version

“bonty acx 2.2 “
    I got on with mine fine everywhere until I took them to Golspie/Laggan. They just seem to squirm and slide in fast corners. Visually they appear to lack cornering knobbles (the same size and number all over) which (in my mind) makes sense

MrNutt
    Free Member

I tend to get mine from here: http://www.noahsark.co.uk/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for all.’ is closed to new replies.