• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tyres – for a road bike – How much!
  • winston_dog
    Free Member

I was looking at good quality road tyres and was amazed at the cost.
    £35 – £45 for a high end tyre! I naively thought they would be cheaper than MTB tyres.

Thought I would seek some advice before splashing large amounts of cash.

I am considering either Michelin Pro 3 or Conti’s GP4000.

Can anyone recommend either?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Continental Ultra Sports for £14.99 a pop in Halford at the weekend.

tonyg2003

Try Merlin. Pair of Michelin Pro3 £47.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    colande
    Free Member

planetX sale
    schwalbe stevlio’s 50% off 17.50each but only in colours, silver/yellow/green
    here

thomthumb
    Free Member

continental gp4000s are supposed to be superior to the 4000.

£26.99 at tweeks cycles atm. just bought a pair and stashed em for spring.

finbar
    Free Member

All those deals are rubbish compared to the ProRace3s on CRC for £16.99 at the moment.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26230

(scroll down – it’s one colour only)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I naively thought they would be cheaper than MTB tyres.

Higher TPI caseings, more puncture-proofing (as they can’t relly on thick rubber), lighter weight materials. Look at stuff like conti supersonics for comparable MTB tyres, they cost a bomb!

montylikesbeer

Gator Skins

A great classic tyre

cynic-al
    Free Member

You don’t need to buy the best!

You especially don’t need to moan about its price!

thomthumb
    Free Member

gator skins have good puncture protection but they are scary in the wet.

monkeychild
    Free Member

What size tyre???

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I’ve been running GP4000’s throughout the Winter and only had two puntures. Grip seems okay in the wet too. Theres a couple of small splits from flints/ thorns etc but that’s what superglue is invented for!!

Stuey01
    Free Member

Schwalbe Ultremo R1s. They are pricey but nooiiice.

If you want puncture protection without them weighing a ton then there are some deals about on Michelin Krylion carbons. CRC has the best price I think. These came in at 261g and 256g on my kitchen scales in the 25mm size. When you consider than most of their competitors are approx 400g and a race tyre is approx 200g for a 23mm then that is impressive.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

was in Velo Ecosse the other day and in store they had 2 for 1 on some conti road tyres. Don’t think this offer is on their website so best to call if interested.

kilo

Pro race 3’s stick realy well, are very good in the rain but cut easily – I’ve not been plagued with punctures but they are a light tyre. You can use them for training etc but they are veering to a race tyre. Got a Gp4000 on one wheel, didn’t realy notice it whereas a pro race 3 was noticeable (does that make sense).
    If it’s a race tyre you’re after Vittoria Evo corsa cx are nice, both in tyre and tub. For training, general cycling I tend to use a variety of cheaper tyres; gator skins, rubinos and they’ve all seemed much of a muchness

As mentioned those prices seem a bit high – try Ribble or CRC

andyha
    Free Member

tyres

what about some of these badboys

servo
    Free Member

As mentioned above, conti GP4000s are way better than GP4000. Last much longer and better grip in wet.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Once you find a tyre you like, you can just keep an eye out and buy them in sales.

I use gp4000S tyres, better than the gp4000, and I usually get them for under 25 quid, got some for 18 quid each a bit back.

Also, look at top end mtb tyres nowadays, a lot appear to be thirty quid or so.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

conti attack & force £30 for the pair at Velo ecosse, shop only though so you need to call.

Pair of GPs for £27.95

ourmaninthenorth

I commute year round on Vittoria Open Pavé, Exepensive, but grip so well in all weathers. Love them.

DezB
    Free Member

Schwalbe Ultremo R1s. They are pricey but nooiiice.

Got mine here (£19 off)
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/index.html?action=search

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tyres – for a road bike – How much!’ is closed to new replies.