Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Tyres for a heavy rider – Apologies in advance
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve read the reviews, looked at what other people use and all that but I’ve some very specific requirements.

I can’t really run tyres at less than 40PSI, pinch flats or worse result. I’m after some grippy winter tyres 2.2 size (2.35 Max for clearance) for XC woodland riding in all this sodding mud any ideas please? Don’t really want to spring for black chilli contis but thinking I might have to.

oldnpastit

Go tubeless so no more pinchflats.

A 95kg racer writes…

Avoid Continental, they seem to develop mysterious bulges in the sidewall when I use them.
    I like Michelins, they’ve got the best reputation for truck tyres, yet they are unfashionable on mountain bikes, which makes them cheaper than other brands of similar quality.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

100+ kgs here and ride Schwalbe Hans Dampfs…

scruff
    Free Member

Michelin Wild Grippers 2.2 for me, always run them tubless & never get pinchflats, just the occasional ripped tyre on proper rocks, never use more than 30psi. Not a mud tyre but a decent compromise.

Speshpaul

Use conti’s. I’ve run them for years never had a bulge issue.
    I stil rate the vertical as a top all rounder.
    the protections help with pinch flats and they will convert to ghetto tubeless.

Mich all mountains are a solid tyre, but be ware that they can come up big, a 2.0 is a 2.2 by most standards.

ton

maxxis dual ply. well worn minnions are the best.

toys19
    Free Member

Have you considered heavier tubes? My mate likens my landings to a baby elephant being dropped from a chopper. I’m about 85 kg, used to get lots of pinch flats, but now I use maxxis fr or dh tubes, and dual ply maxxis hrs, havent had a puncture in 2 years . Alps, spanish sharpened marbles with switchbacks, dartmoor granite, fod roots. Not a single flat.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve got verticals now with a BC up front and a protection out back, the back one is worn out so I must have spun out an extra 10 miles yesterday really trust the front one though. I use heavy tubes but find my tyres squirm about at less than 40 PSI, it disconcerting. I was thinking I might go for a BC Queen out back.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

95kg, 2.2 Spesh Purgatory’s run tubeless at about 27-30 psi.

Grip is great, but doesn’t like running higher pressures for some reason (35psi and it’s like riding on ice).

Verticals are beyond crap IMO. And heavy tubes and 40psi is some serious puncture protection. Try some newer tyre designs, and tubeless at ~25-30psi, you’ll probably be amazed at the difference.

TooTall
    Free Member

Over 110kg here and had loads of different Bonty tyres (tubeless ready and normal) with no problems at all. Better than the Hutchinsons I’ve had.

If you weigh enough, you’ll push any tread through the gloop to where it will grip 😀 I know I get traction where lesser (weight) men have failed.

chakaping
    Free Member

Single-ply Contis are more prone to punctures than Maxxis, but less so than Kenda IME.

I’d try something from Maxxis with the Exo sidewalls if I were you, or the On One Smorgasbord which they suggest is a Maxxis Exo carcass with their own tread design (and pretty cheap).

johnellison
    Free Member

I’m 82Kg and been using Conti Mountain Kings (the basic folders, none of your Black Chilli or ProTection bobbins) for years, no problems.

At risk of getting shouted at, if you pinch-flat a lot, maybe have a look at your riding style…???

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

I agree on riding style also. I’m 120 kg and used to pinch a fair bit running low pressure, changed style a bit, trying to be softer on landings ect and not been bad, I bought some ust rubber queens by mistake, that have a very thick sidewall and roll well after converting my rims to tubeless, I also have non ust black chilli ones, only just put one on the back so far, seems good but sidewalks are very thin

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

Also ment to say, I used duel ply super tacky minions when we went to morzine last year and they are absolutely brilliant, not one flat compared to others in the group that had several! However they are heavy, oh so very heavy, almost killed myself just doing a lap of Llandegla before we left for France. So as good as they are I’d only recommend them if you have uplift

dmw536
    Free Member

100+ kgs here and ride Schwalbe Hans Dampfs…

I doubt he’d fit these in with the clearance hes mentioned, I just tried to swap my high roller 2.35 for a hans dampff 2.35 and it had about 1mm clearance, rubbed round corners so had to swap it onto the front. Don’t think they do narrower versions. Good tyre for the front though…

Mantastic
    Free Member

I am 19st stone and ride at between 6 and 12 PSI dependent on the terrain.

Del

on-one smorgasbord are so cheap they’re worth a shot for sure.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

😯

joolsburger
    Free Member

Based on all these comments and an element of being a mug to the hype I’ve ordered some BC rubber queens, when the rear one doesn’t fit it’ll be up for sale!

I think these with some burly tubes and I should be all set bit eye watering pricewise though.

johnellison
    Free Member

Eh? You sure?

yunki
    Free Member

fatbike..?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Mantastic – Member

REALLY? I would have thought the tire would be flat at those pressures. Is that what the pump guage reads?

yunki
    Free Member

Mantastic – Member

REALLY? I would have thought the tire would be flat at those pressures. Is that what the pump guage reads?

fatbike..?

transporter13
    Free Member

140kg here.

Conti are rubbish IMO. Squirm all over the place no matter what compound.
    Maxxis are ok as long as you use the maxxpro- if you’re heavy then the compound won’t matter as you’ll dig into any terrain anyway
    Schwalbe are my favourite, I use racing Ralph’s on the xc bike and a mixture of big Betty’s, muddy Mary’s and dirty dans on the dh bike.
    Michelin are also very good. Have used the wild dig’r and rock’r with no problem. Just harder to find for reasonable money.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Seems MTB is for the waifs, if you’re over 110kg you can forget about working suspension or low pressure tyres…

D0NK

I’m not heavy but I do ride heavy. Minions is my choice, double ply rear run tubeless, single ply sticky upfront.

It is extremely annoying having to run tyres so hard just to prevent flats, 21st century and we still can’t keep air in tyres.

Currently getting lots of flats on my new CX bike, tubeless beckons

bigyinn
    Free Member

Perhaps learn to ride a bit lighter with more finesse?

velodromerocket
    Free Member

never had problems with schwalbe’s.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m just over 100Kg and find that Schwalbes work pretty well for me.

Much better than the Maxxis tubeless tyres I’m running at the moment anyway!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Gotta love the trolls.

Yeah ride lighter that’ll solve it!

trusty

The geax datura wouldn’t be a bad buy, tubeless (well, some are) well grippy in the mud and have a tough sidewall. Not expensive either from on one.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

a good dusting of talc is meant to help if you don’t fancy tubeless

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for a heavy rider – Apologies in advance’ is closed to new replies.