Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Tyres for a "do it all" bike
  • flyingmonkeycorps

For what I like to call my “everything else” bike – a Pinnacle Arkose. Does 12 miles day commuting on decent cycle tracks and crappy roads then once or twice a week either a longer road ride out in the country or an easy off-road ride with woody singletrack, rutty farm tracks and gravelly cycle tracks.

Currently running the WTB Nanos (I think) that came with it which are fine but I need to replace the rear now it has two splits in it.

Any good all rounders I should be looking at? Running tubes.

jamiep
    Free Member

On-One Gravel Road?

sparkov
    Free Member

Schwalbe Land Cruiser.

PJ266
    Free Member

Panaracer Pasela or Schwalbe Little Big Bens would be my choices.

cheese@4p

Kenda Small Block 8s should suffice for anything but full winter conditions if they still do them

medoramas
    Free Member

Maxxis Crossmark or Aspen. Both brilliant off-road in any conditions but knee-deep mud and both are a breeze on tarmac.

mcj78
    Free Member

I ran the Kenda SB8 on my Charge Filter for a while – really good on road & enough tread for dry-ish off road stuff, pretty light too in 32c flavour if I remember right (I had no punctures in 2 years on them, mostly on road)

chiefgrooveguru

“Do it all” is an interesting concept – my one of those is currently wearing a Minion DHR2 3C on the front and a Minion SS on the rear. Definitely doing a different all! 😉

jimdubleyou

I had some nanos on my Arkose, but couldn’t get them to seat in the rim properly. I might try again as they were grippy on rough stuff & fast (if a little lumpy) on the road.

I’m running SB8s at the moment, but they came with the bike & are on the way out – not sure what I’ll go with next if I can’t get the nanos to work.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Sammy Slicks are working well for me at the moment. Run really well on road despite their 34C width due to slick central band, but when I’m on tracks or even rough canal paths or farm tracks they have plenty of grip from the side knobbles. Not really noticed a downside. I probably need wider rims to get the best out of them, but they seem to be working fine at the mo.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Land Cruisers, Sammy Slicks, Marathon Mondial, or G-Ones.

Or get another Nano from Px for £30, they were £20 there recently.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers dudes, plenty of suggestions there for me to have a lookie at.

danceswithferrets
    Free Member

I got a pair of Vee Rubber smallblock style tyres from CRC, on offer at £9 each, perfect for commuting, off road cycle routes etc

DoctorRad
    Free Member

+1 for Smart Sam

matt10214
    Free Member

I’m using Sammy Slicks on my Croix De Fer, no problems at all so far.

BillOddie

I have found both WTB Nanos and Clement Xplor USH to work well for this type of bike.

I like the look of the Clement Xplor MSO too.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Bung some road tyres on. Gravel needs no tread, slippery but hard mud might, sloppy mud doesn’t.

wiggles
    Free Member

Vittoria XN pros have been good for me

dudeofdoom

+1 for G-ones…. Not cheap mind

martinh
    Free Member

Enjoying my Kenda Flintridge Pro’s. Fast enough on the road and excellent off. Tubeless ready too

johnnystorm

On One Gravel Roads are great. 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Just got an On One Gravel road, will fit and report back forthwith 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for a "do it all" bike’ is closed to new replies.