Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tyres for a canal towpath
  • opusone
    Free Member

I’ve just started a new job which involves commuting along a canal towpath – the union canal from where it starts in Edinburgh to about 3 miles past Ratho, to be exact. The tyres I have on the bike atm are Schwalbe marathon plus 28″x1.25″ (700x32c). Never had a problem with them, but I’m a bit neurotic about getting a puncture on them now that I’m riding over gravel and rockier surfaces, although they are allegedly quite puncture resistant. Would people recommend a different setup or shouldI just stick with what I’ve got?

clodhopper
    Free Member

The Marathon Pluses are probably one of the best tyres you can get for such a purpose. Specialized Armadillos, or Conti Gatorskin hardshell tyres are good alternatives. Lighter tyres will be faster/less effort but not as puncture resistant.

disco_stu
    Free Member

Stick with the Marathons, I run standard Marathons and they cope ok with towpaths / gravel paths fine.

opusone
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

globalti
    Free Member

I used those on the C2C in a group of about 20 and on a lane where the farmer had just flayed the hawthorn hedge almost every rider but me got one or more puncture from the thorns.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I ride 24c diamante pros on that stretch with zero issues. Just how mad do you think it is?

benp1

They are pretty much the most puncture resistant tyres you can get, unless you upgrade to solid tyres

I have them on my commuter. They’re very heavy tyres, but they’re reliable which is more important for me

opusone
    Free Member

Just how mad do you think it is?

Not mad at all. Just a bit wary of punctures making me late for my super important job (I’m kind of a big deal) </s>

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sorry thats a typo. Should be bad.

I get not wanting punctures but for that stretch for that distance i’d be going light and playful rather than tank like construction. And just learn to fix a puncture 😛

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for a canal towpath’ is closed to new replies.