• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hock.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tyres, fat or line
  • taffman1980
    Free Member

So, what do people think. Fat chunky tyre on the front and inner on the back or opposite or even same width on front and back?

All ideas welcome

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What for?
    Context is important
    For me I like positive cornering and good rolling so Combine a 2.5 Minion EXO ST up front with an Ardent out back, coming into summer great for dirt, dust, some mud and hardpack. Ardent comes out slightly narrower.
    For racing Ardent Race front and back.

taffman1980
    Free Member

Have been running maxis minions for ages, just about to buy some new ones and see the ardent get some good reviews.

Was thinking 2.4 on the front and the 2.2 on the back. Ride mostly in the woods, so wet and gresey

Cheers for your imput

mattyfez

Chunkier on the front for grip and slicker on the back if you want to get maximum power transfer.

Some people run the same tyres but a size thinner on the back.

It’s a complete can of worms to be honest.. My general rule of thumb is go same same or put the lighter slicker balder tyre on the back.

hock

„What for?“ is a good question.

I ride 2.35 Minions and similar width tyres (Ardent, Larsen) on the back in summer,
    but 2.0 Bontrager MudX (or recently Maxxis Medusa) on the front in winter, while sticking to a cushy wide tyre like a 2.35 Beaver on the rear.

Why? Well, I like the positive slop slicing grip of those open tread front tyres and their narrowness might help, too (and they don’t come any wider anyway), while I wouldn’t want to miss the cush of wider rear tyres.

Might look a little stupid but works a treat! 🙂

hock

@taffman1980: just reading that you want to go for Ardents on the front AND for greasy/wet conditions.

Well by all means don’t get an Ardent then! While they are fine on the rear in the dry and okay-ish on the front in the dry thy have a tendency to suddenly let go in slippier conditions.

If you don’t want to go the “narrow mud-tyre“-route I suggest something like a Highroller for the front in mixed conditions. Highroller is a little better in the wet than Minions, too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tyres, fat or line’ is closed to new replies.