Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tyres – Difference between wired and folding
  • simmy
    Free Member

Is it just price and the fact the folding is easier to store or is there a difference fitting the tyre or something ?

Sorry if its a stupid question, but I’m using Maxxis Advantages and need some new ones.

crispybacon
    Free Member

There is a price difference as the wire beaded ones are cheaper.
    I find the folding ones easier to fit than wire beaded ones.

Personally I only buy folders as I’m happy with the ease of fitting.

foureyes
    Free Member

folding are lighter, dont think there is much else, unless youre really rippin it as some of the more hardcore tyres seem to be wired only which suggests to me that wired may be less likely to roll off in really mentalist situations.

Northwind

It depends on the tyre… Frinstance, Maxxis ones are pretty similiar in quality, but Kenda wired tyres (other than the DH ones) are generally lower quality across the board. They’re not worse because of the wire bead, but they are worse for the same reasons that they have a wire bead, ie, they’re cheap.

Downhill tyres are mostly wire bead… But then they’re also mostly dual-ply and 1kg+. Though, hard-use foldy tyres do exist, Specialized frinstance have their SX range.

gsp1984
    Free Member

Every folding tyre I’ve ever tried fitting (maxxis/continental) have been a fricking nightmare to fit. Maxxis dual ply wirebead being the worst!

tomd
    Free Member

From what I can tell it’s a weight thing mainly, but as Northwind says wire bead may not have the same compound and features (sidewalls, thread count etc)of the more expensive folding version.

lordmerchant
    Free Member

I’d like to add that I have have noticed (generally) folding tyres are easier to remove in puncture situations, i.e. I can usually get em off without tyre levers.

BigJohn

I have Bonty XR4s. If you look at the specs the wire beads are of much lower quality – don’t have the dual compound etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tyres – Difference between wired and folding’ is closed to new replies.