Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Tyres – again – sorry
  • Cotters
    Free Member

I have been using the old Nevegal/Blue Groove combination throughout the winter, but that's ok for winter/trail centre, but is too draggy for my 3 times a week cycle up to Delamere. My "summer" tyres, being Mountian Kings have just about had it, and I was thinking of investing in a set of High Rollers (2.35).

The question is this, are they a true summer all rounder and do I have simply have them front and back. If not what else shall I waste my money on??? 😕

soobalias
    Free Member

too draggy.

mt
    Free Member

Kenda Karma 2.0

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cotters
    Free Member

How about the Maxxis Advantage 2.25's…..??? 🙄

cookeaa

Single ply, Dual ply, maxx pro, slow reezay, super tacky, 3C????

You don’t just buy a pair of Maxxis tyres these days, there’s a training course to allow you to use the "selection matrix" for width, carcass construction and rubber type…

I recommend Specialized Eskar Controls, similar tread to the HR, cheaper, not too heavy and far fewer choices, excellent…

gingerflash

rubber queen 2.2s. very grippy and faster rolling than they look. pretty light too.

donks
    Free Member

Stick with Kenda and get small block 8's, low drag and great on the trail….or so i have found.

mushrooms
    Free Member

Advantage 2.1, High rollers come up small for 2.35's and advantage 2.1 come up big for 2.1…….

vrapan
    Free Member

Crossmark 2.1 with lowish pressure. Grip well and roll really fast.

poppa
    Free Member

Do you cycle on the road much?

High Rollers won't be noticably quicker than your Kendas.

You could try a Crossmark rear with a High Roller (or Ardent or Advantage) front, for a speedy summer combo. Or you could stick with Kendas and try some Small Block 8's.

Small Block 8's arent that fast on road though, but brilliant off road in the dry.

nickingsley
    Free Member

I think you might be getting ahead of yourself here. Its only the end of April and perhaps a little to early to be planning for summer tyres to run on those dry and firm trails.

This is the North West of England, worse Delamere is in the Cheshire Gap so the wet and gloopy stuff will be back shortly – surprise, surprise its ******* down outside – must be a bank holiday coming up.

Just let the Blue Groove/Nevegals carry on wearing down a bit more they'll be fine. I purchased (and mislaid) some new Kenda Nevegal DTC/SWS folding tyres last year and was surprised to find they had a much smaller tread compared to the old style ones!

james
    Free Member

"I was thinking of investing in a set of High Rollers (2.35"
    IMO they're slower than 2.1" Kenda Nevegal DTCs front and rear
    Both are faster than 2.25" Advantage 60a's though

"Specialized Eskar Controls, similar tread to the HR, cheaper, not too heavy"
    Visually much closer tread to Advantages IMO (though sort of similar to HRs also)
    CRC have folding 2.35" 60a HRs for £23 atm. Eskars are also £23 but are sual compond (55/65a) unlike a single (60a) compound HR. Wire HRs are £19 but more like 800g
    folding 60a HRs are 646*/695g. Eskars are 700g (claimed)

I've not ridden an eskar so I've no idea how fast they roll or how they handle (they're on my mental 'would like to buy' list though, along with minions and many many more .. )

2.1" Nevegal DTC folding**/2.35" High Roller 60a folding**/etc and a 2.1" Crossmark (62a or 70a, wire or folding) ought to make a decent summer compromise I reckon

*according to JustRidingAlongs actual tyre weights pags
    **Just to keep the wieght down. Plus DTC (50/60a) is only available on folding versions

giantjason
    Free Member

dont go for 2.35 HR as summer tyres. i spent tuesday night trying to keep up with others in our group and on downhill and road sections where they were free-wheeling i was having to pedal to keep up!!!

i am planning on changing to racing ralphs, crossmarks or something similar.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

Panaracer Mach SS. Been running them front and rear off road – good traction, cornering, fast rolling and good on the road. Not much rolling resistance. Be a good all round summer tyre

Cotters
    Free Member

Hey everyone – thanks for all the advice. As Nick says, I am probably getting ahead of myself, and I've probably been slightly rash given the three sunny days we've had, but "when" Delamere is dry you can really fly and nothing beats being ready (especially as I am licky enough (for lucky read stupid)to have a spare set of wheels that I can throw on. I also have to ride about 3 miles on the road to get to Delamere so making that a bit easier is worth it in itself IMO.

Glad I've not just spent £50 on my initial thoughts.Surprised no ones mentioned Nobby Nics – Maybe with a Ralph on the rear – Merlin are doing them at reasonably sensible prices now….Crossmark seems a sensible option option though, maybe with a Nevegal up front.

Mmmmm 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Tyres – again – sorry’ is closed to new replies.