Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • tyres.. aaarrggh
  • robgclarkson
    Free Member

i need to replace my front TL Hans Dampf and i thought, ‘i know, i’ll look at some other options’…

😯 NO! there’s just too many to choose from, where to begin, everyone and his mother has advice and recommendations.

brands and their terms for different compounds, widths, side walls, beaded etc… it’s enough to put me off buying one

the term “spoiled for choice” never seemed more fitting

all that said, recommendations welcomed, for an all season all rounder. i’ve been very happy with the HD, i’m just curious to know if i’d be happier with something else though…

fingerbike
    Free Member
    darrenspink
    Free Member

Don’t ask on here! As you say, everyone and their mother will come up with recommendations. Just stick with the HD, you coukd look at the WTB Vigilante if your after an aggressive tyre still.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Apparently the Magic Mary is a good front replacement. I was going to go for a DH carcass version for my 29er but Schwalbe took 8 months to release it so I went for a Minion instead.

Northwind

Magic Mary’s less of an allrounder. A really good tyre but not quick and not that grippy on hard stuff, just side effects of its spiky design- it needs something to get its teeth into. It kind of comes into its own where the HD starts to struggle with the wet. I’ve hung mine up for now but I reckon it’ll be ace come winter enduros etc.

I didn’t get on with the HD, but it does what it does really well. I just didn’t like its approach, more than the execution. So if you like what it does, I’d stick with that personally. If that makes sense?

Yetiman
    Free Member

Good info Northwind, cheers 🙂

Having transferred a Trailstar HD from the front of the big bike to the hardtail I’m now after a replacement. The shortlist is a MM or a Vigilante. Currently erring towards the Vigilante based on feedback from a mate (29er flava)

transition1
    Free Member

Just put a Fat Albert on front of my bike, did have a HD
    Am surprised how good the FA is grips well in the wet & is fast rolling..

devash
    Free Member

Currently running 2.3 Specialized Purgatory Control front / Grid back.

Great tyre, really gripy and fast rolling enough for my intermediate skills.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

what about Geax DHEA? On-one have them for a smashing price…

i have a Geax Saguaro on the rear of my hardtail and i think it’s ace! not that that necessarily makes the slightest difference tbf

jam-bo

XR4 were a bit meh.

not tried a hans-dampf but i know a lot of people who haven’t replaced them after wearing them out.

got a good deal on some onza ibex recently and i’m really liking them at the moment.

nosedive
    Free Member

Geax dhea are terrible tyres. They work particularly badly on rocks

robgclarkson
    Free Member

oh 🙁

Clobber
    Free Member

You should try a chunky monkey! my favourite front tyre ever!

robgclarkson
    Free Member

Clobber – Member
    You should try a chunky monkey! my favourite front tyre ever!

you know what.. i think i will, i’ve got a smorgass board on the back, so why not!

😉

Andy-R

I’m a big Chunky Monkey fan too – ace tyre!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘tyres.. aaarrggh’ is closed to new replies.