Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tyres…..
  • oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Before I stick with my Butcher control front, Purgatory Grid rear combo, I wanted to see if anyone who’s used that combo have found anything better..

I cant really fault the above combo in terms of all round useability, I’ve had 3 sets now and they are great in most conditions, blow up well tubeless. Nice grippy front, faster but still sticky rear. They have held up well mostly, but at stiniog last weekend I put a hole in the sidewall of the butcher, and slashed through the tread of the purgatory, its the first time i’ve slashed a butcher, but its the second purgatory I’ve done in. I only want to run one set of tyres tubeless (with sealant) for all purposes, and don’t want to go silly heavy so I accept I’m going to kill a tyre before it wears out most of the time, but these were only about 3 months old.

My riding is probably half trail centre/natural ride if someone has a GPS, the rest Enduros and uplifts, more just trail centres in the winter to avoid the slop.

Ive never tried anything maxxis or Schwalbe, am I missing out? I don’t mind going a little slower rolling or heavier within reason, I value grip over rolling resistance (again within reason), I ride a Nicolai Helius AM built up burly with coils, so I’m no cross country whippet and have no clearance issues.

Trying to keep this factual from experiences rather than turn it into a big up the tyres I’ve just bought thread if at all possible!

wiggles
    Free Member

IMO stick with what you use, works great and a lot cheaper than anything as good from conti/maxis/schwalbe etc

joolsburger
    Free Member

Rubber queens now called Trail King I think. Had mine on a year in all conditions and it’s taken a beating well. 2.2 comes up very big more like a 2.4. Ruined a Mountain King 2 on the back in the same time but was given a new one under warranty I would have preferred another Rubber Queen. It’s a very good tyre.

djflexure

They do grid versions this year with beefier sidewalls

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

The purgatory was a grid… could just have been bad luck, Stiniog Blacks will kill any tyre I suppose!

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

Maxxis EXO a bit burlier?

I assume minion 2.5 front super tacky, ardent 2.4 60a rear would be equivalent to the butcher/purg combo…. any thoughts?

Northwind

2 butchers is my preference now, adds a fair bit of drag over the purg but a lot more grip (and best sliding manners of any rear tyre I’ve used- not that I’m a skiddist but sometimes it happens) But yeah, it is a fact that they’re not the toughest, never had a problem myself but not surprised that folks do.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tyres…..’ is closed to new replies.