• This topic has 27 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by tron.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tyre Wobble
  • lewismorgan
    Free Member

I’ve just changed my continental tyres for some schwalbe racing raplhs. I put the front on this evening and noticed that its wobbling a bit, as if the wheel is untrue.

I aso noticed the tyre was so much easier to get on the rim, compared to my continental which was an absolute bar steward!

Anybody have any advice as to why its wobbling like this?

Much appreciated 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

let the air out to 5psi ish, pull the carcass across the rim direction to help get the bead seated properly. inflate a bit more, and do it again. You should find that a moulding line in the carcass makes a good guide to check the tyre is mounted perfectly concentrically with the rim.

nicko74

I’d suggest it’s because the tyre isn’t seated evenly all the way round the wheel – if you examine the bead more closely you may find that certain parts are tucked in a little more than others. I found this particularly with Stans rims, due to the bead hook design of the rim.

Often, pumping it up b’stard hard can be enough to get it to sit just right; failing that you could try washing up liquid to make the bead slip into place as you pump it up.

crikey
    Free Member

It’s not straight on the rim. let it down give it a wiggle all round, try a bit of washing up liquid on each bead and try a bit of over inflation to seat it well.

hugor
    Free Member

How true is a properley bedded tire?
    All of mine wobble a small amount and by that I mean prob 5 – 7mm.
    I’ve tried all of the above mentioned tricks.
    The rim doesn’t move at all.
    Is this normal or should they be completely perfect?
    I use stans rims BTW.

Stoner
    Free Member

they really ought to be perfect. the ERD of the bead and the rim are made pretty exactly. The tyre can sometimes sit “safelyish” without being properly bedded but its not good.

hugor
    Free Member

damn….. now I’m going have to wrestle with them some more

mightymarmite
    Free Member

As above stans rims are a bit of a buggar. Last time i fitted a set of x-king poured washing up liquid over them, then pumped up to 50psi when they went pop and seated properly (hard to do with one finger on the pump and the rest of my anatomy hidden around the corner from the potentially exploding wheel)

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Just took the tyre off checked the tube all fne.
    Twisted the tre about a bit pushed the sidewalls in and all seems fine. Appears to be sitting fine.
    However there is still around a 3-4mm wobble. doesn’t seem right. Might run it and see f it beds in?

lewismorgan
    Free Member

frustrating much!

coatesy
    Free Member

Not sure, but there’s something in the back of my mind about certain Schwalbe tyres having a defect that causes wobble, may be worth having a search for old posts.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

hmm, i think coaating the wall with soapy water (folding tyre)and linking her up to the compressor might do it 😀

highclimber
    Free Member

my contis wobble too but I have never had any troubles by leaving it be.

sobriety
    Free Member

Whenever I fit tyres, I put a small amount of air in (like 10-15psi), then bounce the wheel on the floor all the way round, then inflate fully, this seems to seat everything nicely. If you’re doing it tubeless, then I have no idea.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

It’s not tubeless 🙂 I think I may just leave it be

hilton83
    Free Member

+1 for a bit of fairy liquid between the tyre and rim and pump it up to about 60psi, works every time for me.
    If your worried about the salt in the fairy liquid harming your rims you can get proper stuff to help the bead slip into place, I used to use it on my race bikes, can not remember for the life if me what it’s called tho?

transapp
    Free Member

Are they new tyres by which I mean not bought 2nd hand? If not, you could be about to go through a side wall in a loud way….. Admittidly it was a Nobby Nic, but soon ater gong ‘wobbly’ it went just above the rim in a 6′ split

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I once had a tyre and I reckon it was out by out about 15mm of wobble! Basically this was just a bad tyre, a tyre should fit on the rim and be something like true. If you pump it up hard and quick and do all the things to make it seat properly then if it does wobble its a dodgy tyre.

I Should say that the tyre I had was the only one I have ever had in 20 years of riding! Maybe when they are stored it can cock them up. Like a folding tyre not folded up and chucked in a shed or garage baking hot could deform it somewhat. I think that’s what happened to mine as it was a folding tyre and I just chucked it in the shed any old way when it was new and a tyre without a wire bead has no support when stored like that.

druidh
    Free Member

Do these tyres have the white stripe round them? I’ve noticed that on many of these, the stripe isn’t straight on the tyre, leading one to think that the tyre isn’t straight on the rim.

I’ve also seen a band new Nobby Nic that had been damaged in manufacturer and was warped so that it would never sit straight.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Yes druidh it’s fitted with the white strip around the inside wall, I’m starting to think it could be the tyre which is brand new, will update after today’s attempt!

angeldust
    Free Member

I recently had some Schwalbe (NN’s) that were incorrectly manufactured making them impossible to fit straight (hence they wobbled). I returned them to the place of purchase, who agreed with me, and had them replaced.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Hmmm tried everything today put washing up liquid alla round the wall of the tyre inflated a little bit, bounced the tyre about pushing and pulling the walls in and it just will not sit straigh! I shall take it to LBS and see what they think!

neninja
    Free Member

The rim strip hasn’t shifted into the bead socket has it?

A friend had some Continental Vertical tyres that we simply couldn’t get to sit properly on his rims no matter what we tried. When he later upgraded his wheels for some Flows they went on tubeless with no bother and sat perfectly straight. Must have been something funny with the previous rims.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

Tried the other tyre and thats doing exactly the same thing, if slightly better, Have changed inner tube also but no luck.

Subed old tyre on and wheel is running perfectly true!

I suspect On One are shipping out all the old seconds from schwalbe! Will return them to them!

Anyone else had issues with schwalbe tyres/On One?

hugor
    Free Member

Anyone else had issues with schwalbe tyres/On One

My 456 came with Michelin XC dry’s which refuse to run true despite many attempts and tricks.
    Its probably something to do with my installation though.
    I’m a pretty bad mechanic.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have had countless Nobby Nics from On One and all been fine. Bought some with the silver stripes on and when spinning they do look like they wobble but i am virtually convinced it is the illusion the striping is giving wobbling from side to side, if you look closely at the striping it isnt straight on the tyres, front and rear the same. Just my opinion mind.

lewismorgan
    Free Member

These have the silver stripe on them, however spin it fast enough and i can feel the bike shifting! Definately not seated right!

tron
    Free Member

Seems like a fairly common thing with Schwalbe tyres. I had a pair of Fat Alberts – one went way out of true, and the bead on the other stretched so much that it couldn’t be fitted.

I just don’t bother buying Schwalbes now.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tyre Wobble’ is closed to new replies.