Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tyre weight geekery! Conti RQs vs Maxxis ADvantages
  • 13thfloormonk

I'm just trying to sort out my fleet of broken/punctured wheels, and out of interest weighed a few tyres.

My UST 2.2" Rubber Queen weighed 700g, which is 300g lighter than the conti site says. I'm hoping they haven't since made them loads heavier because I want a replacement but not if its 1kg!

My non-tubeless 2.35 Maxxis ADvantages weighed about 550g, which is lighter than I thought, and explains why I (think) I noticed a difference when I swapped one for the UST Rubber Queen, as the bike didn't feel quite as chuckable and agile, although it was the same difference as slightly hungover legs and I'd probably have gotten used to it.

My UST ADvantages weigh almost the same as the 2.2 Rubber Queen, but they're smaller. I'm hoping this means they're a bit more robust as I managed to put holes in the non UST ones and the USt rubber queen (under extreme provocation right enough…).

The RQ and the UST ADvantages are both lighter than stated by the manufacturers though, weird.

househusband

2.1" UST Advantage? Have one hanging up in the garage, never got on with it too well – certainly not as tenacious as the RQ, which I've found to be very robust. The Advantage also very small for its given size.

timbercombe
    Free Member

Wonder about the folding RQ weight then as was looking at setting one up ghetto tubeless.

cheers_drive

I'm sure your scales are out, 550g should be the weight for a 2.1" exception Advantage IIRC.

househusband – Member
    The Advantage also very small for its given size.

I've always found they come out about right or even slighty large. unlike the Highroller.

warpcow
    Free Member

Just weighed my new 2.35 ADvantage. Came in at 686g. +1 what cheers said about the scales and size (but comparing to RQs I guess they do look small).

househusband

I've always found they come out about right or even slighty large. unlike the Highroller.

Yup, think I've got me tyres all confused; being a newer Maxxis tyre they are more accurately sized than the HR – as you say.

13thfloormonk

Well, to take the geekery even further, I've just weighed 300ml of water, came out at 300g bang on, so I think the scales are Ok.

The folding RQ was 650g (I weighed one of them too).

I don't know how much weight is accounted for by wear (the UST RQ and the 2.35 ADvantages are all a little worn, but they're also muddy…)

The 2.1 ADvantage did come up small compared to the 2.35 (dur…) but they also seem to roll WAY faster, I think thats maybe the compound (70 versus 60). They don't need to be tenacious as they're on my singlespeed, my legs will give out before the tyres!

I'm sure I'll regret knowing this now, amazing how you can be happy with something until you know precisely how much heavier it is 😀

Oops, I weighed the 2.35 ADvantage again, it was actually 600g

househusband

I'm just so relieved to find that I'm not the only one that gets all anal about tyres.

13thfloormonk

I wouldn't care, but I've been changing tyres a lot recently, just don't want to put heavier ones on if I can help it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tyre weight geekery! Conti RQs vs Maxxis ADvantages’ is closed to new replies.