Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tyre (sorry) sizing – Ardent & Minion
  • deadkenny
    Free Member

605b – currently got a Minion DHF 2.3 up front and want to run an Ardent rear, but just wondering on the sizing.

The rear generally should be smaller than the front and the 650b Ardent comes in 2.25 and 2.4 sizes. 2.4 is going to be huge obviously, but what does the 2.25 come up like compared to the 2.3 Minion (that’s ‘new’ 2.3)?

Alternatively I could go Ardent Race which is more suited for a lot of the riding I’m doing on this particular bike (SC 5010, used for a lot of XC/Trail and needs speed to keep up with quick groups). Only thing is I like chucking it around local rough stuff also and not sure if the Race version will be grippy enough. Though I mix it up and sometimes ride my old Nomad on that stuff, which has full on Minion & HR2 set up.

Ardent Race comes in 2.2 or 2.35 sizing. I’m guessing for a smaller on rear than the 2.3 Minion I’d want the 2.2.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The 2 ardents are a little different, the bigger is is a deeper tread.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’m running this combination at the moment, 2.3 minion DHF front and 2.4 ardent rear. If you put the two side-by-side there isn’t anything in it width-wise.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cool. Very useful site for comparison.

honourablegeorge

Stick a Minon SS on te back, it’s a great tyre, makes more sense than an Ardent IMO

CalamityJames
    Free Member

The 2.4 Ardent is visually larger, albeit not much. I’ve got a 2.3 Minion SS and an Agressor to choose from, Minion SS faster and lighter but sacrifices a little straight line braking grip. Much prefer it to the 2.25 Ardent.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Top one is a Minion DHF 2.3 bottom is an Ardent 2.25. Very little in it.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Ps excuse the shoddy pointing and weeds (in the loft).

chiefgrooveguru

I haven’t tried either Ardent but I’d be more inclined to use a Minion SS on the back with DHF or DHR2 up front.

benpinnick

If it fits go 2.4. Is a better tyre, especially where you ride deadkenny.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Yeah, but I don’t want bigger at the back though? unless I size up the front.

This bike is getting used far more for Tunnel Hill and the like rides with fair bit of fast xc/trail group night rides, rather than the typical Surrey Hills stuff. Though I want it to be a balance between the two kinds of rides.

Not looked at Minion SS. Like a Larsen but with big nobblies on the sides? Going to be terrible this time of year surely with the mud now?

As I said, other option is Ardent Race. Mud issue concern again but given the rides are more suited to that in the main, maybe that’s where it’s at.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Here’s my 2.4 Ardent compared to my 2.3 Minion. The perspective makes the Minion look a bit bigger but they’re pretty much the same width.

I’m usually a Minion DHF on the back kind of guy, but I’m growing to like this Ardent!

[/url]IMG_5396 by smatkins2, on Flickr[/img]

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve always liked them on the hard tail (26er) on rear. Paired with Minion DHF up front which I always tend to have.

Main thing is I don’t want to add drag, need good rolling speed, but need some bite where I need it. Mainly more about grip under power over technical roots and rocks and through mud, than braking grip (just drift after all 😉 ). Currently got a Vittoria Goma on back of this bike which it came with, which is also nice but very worn out and holes patched up. I could get another of those, although I felt they lack grip under power at the rear, but then could be just down to being worn out 😉

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tyre (sorry) sizing – Ardent & Minion’ is closed to new replies.