Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tyre slipping on rim
  • sturmey
    Free Member

What is the reason for tyres slipping on the rim 2 punctures today both from tyre slipping and tearing the valve conti gravity tyres on wtb speed disc rims what's the solution please

Chew
    Free Member

3 solutions really;

1)Increase tyre pressure, to stop the tyre moving
    2)Bit of Talc in tyre between the tyre and tube. Tyre still slips but doesnt pull the tube with it.
    3)New tyre, either they dont fit your rims properly, or you've knackered the beading when you've fitted/removed them.

M6TTF
    Free Member

4th option – ditch the tubes all together!

Oggles
    Free Member

Cloth rim tape, not that plastic band that you sometimes get on rims.

singletrackmind

What difference does cloth rim tape make to the tyre bead sitting on the rim, then rotating when you brake heavily with the rear brake.
    Once heard a tip which involved dabbing the rim with superglue, letting it dry for a few hours, then re-mounting as normaol. The superglue give the bead something to bite onto.

Oggles
    Free Member

I suppose it depends on the tyre rim combination, but the top of the tyre bead can touch the rimtape when fitted – especially with nice thick velox cloth stuff. The cloth holds rubber better than tape or plastic. It makes the tube less likely to slip round and rip the valve out too.

Worked for me when I was rippng valves out on my rear wheel anyway. 🙂

singletrackmind

Will try it as I have done 5 in the last 3 rides and its geting tiresome and expensive

Daniel
    Free Member

Does the tyre go on easily i.e. without levers?

I had this, where it would tear the valve out of the tube every 15mins – folding tyre and I could put it on by hand easily. Bought new tyre (needed levers to put it on), problem solved.

Mine was the front, felt like I was running very low pressure and it was squirming around.

grittyshaker
    Free Member

My brother, Sturmey, posted this question on my behalf and the problem is now sorted.

Turned out that I was running my tyres at too low pressure (@ 20psi) and this was insufficient, under heavy braking, to keep the tyre still on the rim, carrying the tube round with it and ripping the valve.

And there was I just about to shell out for a new tyre.

Seems that this may have been Daniel's problem too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tyre slipping on rim’ is closed to new replies.