Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • tyre size/choice – FTM carbon
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

just waiting for my FTM carbon frame to arrive from On One.

i need to order some tyres.

my riding is mainly xc with the occasional trip to trail centres such as Afan.

i ran 2.25″ Nobby Nics on my Turner Flux and had no problems. On the Yeti and my On One Titanium I am running 2.25″ Rocket Ron (front) and 2.25″ Racing Ralph (rear).

the ro ro / ra ra combo is wickedly quick and very light, but perhaps a little restrictive. I’m thinking of heading back to Nobby Nics for this build (2.25″ evo pacestar variants).

i like Schwalbe as i can go tubeless without buying tubeless specific. it saves weight, and so far (touch wood), i’ve had no problems at all.

so.. what fits on the FTM? will a 2.25″ Nobby Nic go in with room to spare?

cheers

mrjmt
    Free Member

Yep.

Only thing to check is clearance with seat tube at full compression, can be a little tight but the shock is shimmed to give 135mm travel to avoid this.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i used spesh purgatorys – they buzzed the seat tube on full compression. Some heli tape recommended.
    Also turn the shock round so the shaft is t the top tube and the adjusters on the rocker. Otherwise it rubs the shock mount.

campfreddie
    Free Member

turning the shock round?… i’ve never seen that… does that not have any affect on performance or dirt/moisture ingress?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

no problem – have a look how close the can is to the mount and you will see!

campfreddie
    Free Member

okay… will have a look.

on the tyre front, i’m now thinking 2.25″ (or maybe 2.35″) nobby nic on the front and a 2.1″ rocket ron on the back… should give me stacks of clearance and lots of pace… what do you think?

another question… the frame i bought from on one didn’t have a mech hanger (i got it from their ebay site), so i ordered one from them which i was told (on the phone) was correct. the frame hasn’t arrived yet (will be here tomorrow), but every picture i can see has a hanger with three bolts, whereas the one they told me to buy is missing the one which apparently causes the originals to fail (ie. at the narrowest point). is this correct? can i use a 2-bolt hanger on this frame?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes thats the newer one

campfreddie
    Free Member

great… thanks for that.

hopefully, by removing the bolt that effectively halves the thickness of the hanger in the most important area, the likelihood of the hanger snapping when used with a clutch mech will be lessened?

Conan257
    Free Member

2.25 Nobby Nics fit fine. It’s what I’m running till I find a tyre that works.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Did you get your hanger from on-one?
    Got a link?

campfreddie
    Free Member
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘tyre size/choice – FTM carbon’ is closed to new replies.