Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Tyre question!
  • oli575
    Free Member

Currently on 26″ Rubber Queen 2.2 UST and with new wheels coming I will put new tyres on. Must be UST/tubeless ready and want a bit more cornering bite on the front. Was thinking about a Hans Dampf in Trailstar for the front, will I notice an improvement on the RQ?

Can anyone comment and recommend a rear tyre that will offer solid cornering with a slightly faster rolling profile? If I go for the HD would prefer a Schwalbe rear to match!

wiggles
    Free Member

Purgatory for £20 at the moment.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I switched from RQ 2.2 BC USTs to nobby nics front and rear in 2.4. They seemed to roll a bit faster but sidewalls are not as good,trashed one first ride out at Antur. As for cornering bite on the front again to be honest about the same! Only thing I have ridden with better bite on the front was Maxxis Minnion DHF!

oli575
    Free Member

Have thought about a Minion Exo 2.5 but not UST.

Any more with experience of both RQ and HD’s?

Jrrr
    Free Member

Still running 26 here and not so long ago i binned a 3 week old Hans dampf, great tyre until the side knobs started ripping off!(used on front) Replaced with 2.3 spec butcher on the front ( almost a minion) with a 2.3 purgatory rear. Lovely combo for some fast and harder cornering type of riding. £50 for the pair currently!

Imo the butcher rolls quicker than the Hans dampf. And I’d only use a purgatory as a rear tyre.

That’s my 2 cents

James

getonyourbike
    Free Member

If you want cornering bite, the HD is definitely not the one. It was a rear tyre only for me when I tried one. The Minion DHF has got lots of cornering bite and the Minion DHR II has got the same cornering bite but with a lot more braking grip too. The New DHR makes a great front tyre, as well as a rear tyre. The HR2 is very similar performance wise, as the DHR II but it just feels slightly different.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Where’s that from then?

muggomagic

I’ve just fitted a butcher up front as I couldn’t find the new TR 2.3 minion dhf. It’s pretty close to the minion in terms of tread pattern and a lot better at just about everything than the 2.4 MK2 it replaced. Also have a purgatory on the rear.
    I don’t bother with schwalbe tyres any longer as I’ve had to bin far too many of them because of great big rips in them after just a few rides and at close to £50 a tyre that’s hard to take.

oli575
    Free Member

How do the Butcher and Purgatory combo size up against a Minion 2.35? As I want more width and volume than that on my full susser.

lerk
    Free Member

oli575 – Member
    Have thought about a Minion Exo 2.5 but not UST.

Any more with experience of both RQ and HD’s?

POSTED 11 HOURS AGO #

All my experiences of Maxxis Exo casings have been very positive WRT Tubeless running, so don’t rule it out straight away!

darrenspink
    Free Member

What type of riding?

Peoples feedback on tyres are always personal. I found the only way to see if a tyre is good for your needs is to try them…if you don’t like, sell it on. If you can’t afford to do that read a hell of a lot of reviews.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

More importantly…

£50 for the pair currently!

Where??

muggomagic

oli575 – Member
    How do the Butcher and Purgatory combo size up against a Minion 2.35? As I want more width and volume than that on my full susser.

POSTED 28 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Both are wider than a 2.35 minion DHF.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve run Rubber Queens for a while now and the cornering bite up front is their only real weak point – they don’t rail like some tyres but they do let go progressively. I can’t fault them as a rear tyre and would highly recommend you leave one on the back – they roll quicker than any other tyre that brakes and drives as well in all conditions and they’re so good for cornering hard and balancing on the limit without snapping out.

For a front tyre that rails you need a fairly consistent line of bigger edge knobs with plenty of support – so the Hans Dampf isn’t one. I ran a Specialized Butcher up front for a while last year and that was great. I’m now running a Schwalbe Magic Mary and that’s even better. Combined with the Spitfire, CCDBair and Pikes I’m still realigning my ideas about how fast a bike can go around a corner!

martinhutch

In response to the Qs above, some Spesh dealers are offering a ‘tyre amnesty’ – take in two knackered old tyres and swap them for brand news for £20 each.

My local spesh dealer just shut down…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Link please…

Jrrr
    Free Member

Exactly what Martin just said above. Specialized tyre amnesty. Get on the spec site, find local dealer. All they want is an old tyre of any brand ( the leisure lakes I used didn’t even want the old ones)

Thing to note is that the offer doesn’t include the butchers paid £30 for it and the purgs were down to £20 each from £35 iirc

oli575
    Free Member

Yes, it’s the lack of front edge ‘bite’ that I’m missing. That’s why I’m considering the 2.5 Minion DHF EXO. Will they go up with a track pump on a proper UST rim with sealant?

In the interests of aesthetics I would prefer a rear tyre of the same brand… High Roller LUST 2.35? Would that be slower than my 2.2 RQ?

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve done a 2.5″ exo minion with a track pump on deeMax UST rims. Dual ply super tacky was a different story. I’m currently running a 2.4″ and 2.25″ Ardent combo, both exo, running tubeless. Very happy with them..

jonnyrockymountain

Even if you can’t get spesh tyres on the amnesty, I’d still be buying purgatory control for front and ground control rear at there £30 list price each, cheapest tubeless ready tyres about! Also the purg’s have softer rubber compound on edges for corner grip, light for there size and roll well

chiefgrooveguru

In the interests of aesthetics I would prefer a rear tyre of the same brand… High Roller LUST 2.35? Would that be slower than my 2.2 RQ?

I quite understand, it did bother me. But the Butcher + Rubber Queen and Magic Mary + Trail King pairings are so good that I got over it. High Roller won’t roll as fast or work as well in the mud – more bite up front but needs leaning.

wiggles
    Free Member

Purg 2.3 control, on the spesh tyre amnesty is £20

Pop into your local spesh dealer
    If that happens to be Leisure lakes in Newport you might see me 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Tyre question!’ is closed to new replies.