Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • tyre pressures when running tubeless
  • firestarter
    Free Member

just noticed when setting my maxxis advantage up tubeless that it said 35 min psi now i like it around 28 psi when tubeless am i gonna have problems running less than min amount in these tyres or is it nowt to worry about. cheers

snaps
    Free Member

I run my High rollers around 30 psi – no problems at all

racing_ralph
    Free Member

are they tubeless ones?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

are they lust or normal tyres with a stans kit? I’d ignore the rec pressures and ride them how you like them. I’m 17 stone and usually go about 35 front 40 rear, so my 35, is probably very close to your 28 if that makes sense. Unless of course you’re a biffer like me

firestarter
    Free Member

i think my highrollers are about 30 tbh but other bike not handy at min. prob nowt to worry about but i cant remember seeing min psi before. (prob on all tyres and im just dim lol)

oxnop
    Free Member

My tyres say min 35 i run them at 30, no probs at all. Fire XC BTW

firestarter
    Free Member

hi they are normal ones with dt5.1 rims , dt strips and sealant in . my other set are normal highrollers with stans olympics stans strips and sealant in run at around 28 no problems

AndyPaice
    Free Member

lower pressures will lead to sidewalls wearing faster than at pressures above 35psi, as the sidewalls will flex more. If you ride in rocky areas you may find this is a problem, if you dont then it may not be an issue.

all below were run on the rear wheel, Stans no Tubes at about 20-25 psi, in abrasive rocky terrain (on either a 7″ forked hardtail or a 7″ full susser).

1- I ran a non tubeless Maxxis Minion rear 2.35 single ply (quite flimsy sidewalls) and wore the sidewalls out (to the point of being able to stick a tyre lever through the cuts in them) in 4 months.

2- I then got a dual ply non tubeless DH CASING 2.5 Maxxis Minion non tubeless, lasted a few months more than the single ply but the rubber rubbed off the sidewall outer surface and they needed a bit more sealant to seal them again. worked ok but more hassle.

3- tried a bontrager 2.5″ Big Earl tubeless ready. The sidewalls were virtually unmarked after 4-5 months riding at the same pressure as the maxxis. The tread however was totally worn off, where the maxxis both had a fair bit of tread left on.

My verdict – UST/tubeless ready tyres are the way forward for low pressures due to the abrasion resistant sidewalls. Otherwise stick to slightly higher pressures, or accept that tyres will last only a few months.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘tyre pressures when running tubeless’ is closed to new replies.