Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Tyre pressures. How low do you go?
  • docgeoffyjones

I usually run about 21 Psi front and between 22-26 Psi in the rear depending on how rocky it is. I run a magic Mary super gravity front and a HR2 single ply rear both tubeless.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I run Specialized grid carcass tyres tubeless on both my bikes, but I struggle to find a happy medium with tyre pressures. I do default to 35/40psi (F/R), but for technical riding that’s way too high. I don’t like that feeling when the rear tyre squirms under lateral load, it feels as though my rear suspension is kaput.

Having said that, I don’t usually notice the difference with 30/35psi, but I might try dropping lower and will see how it goes.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

What are people using to measure pressure? Recently bought the Topeak D2 gauge as I thought now that I’m running tubeless it’d be good to be able to accurately repeat pressures from pump to pump. Thought I was running around 30F/34R; turns out my preferred pressure is 21F/24R! That’s Maxxis EXO 2.35 on 30mm internal rims, 160/145 FS, 14st (kitted up) rider.

SirHC

Topeak gauge here as well. Track pump gauges are mostly useless for measuring pressures.

russyh
    Free Member

25 front 28 rear for me, well that’s what my gauge says. The actual number is irrelevant I guess as its what feels right. I like a stiffer side wall to help reduce squirm/roll as running high pressure feels pretty horrid and unpredictable to me.

yoshimi

idiotdogbrain – Member
    What are people using to measure pressure? Recently bought the Topeak D2 gauge as I thought now that I’m running tubeless it’d be good to be able to accurately repeat pressures from pump to pump. Thought I was running around 30F/34R; turns out my preferred pressure is 21F/24R! That’s Maxxis EXO 2.35 on 30mm internal rims, 160/145 FS, 14st (kitted up) rider.

POSTED 8 HOURS AGO #

I’ve just picked up the Topeak D2 as well. Used it for the first time last night and was a bit surprised. I weigh about 90kg kitted up with a full 3l pack etc. I always just used my Joe Blow track pump and stuck 30psi in previously. The D2 measured this at 20psi – I was actually going to start a thread this morning about the accuracy of the D2. My tyres feel quite firm and surprised they only read at 20psi.

So what are peoples thought on accuracy?

iainc

having ridden my FS for the past few weeks (Anthem with 650B carbon rims, Nobby Nic 2.25) and 24/27 I was on the Soul 26’er last night, with 2.3 Purg’s and Mavic 719’s. I found rear at 27 was banging on the roots a lot, so a wee pump up to 30 and it was much better. I am just over 12 stone.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of pressure meters (different manufacturers) and they are reasonably consistent between them and also consistently lower than the gauge on the track pump.

So long as the gauge is consistent over time I’d just inflate to whatever pressure you are happy with and use that, the actual number isn’t that important.

rocketman
    Free Member

Rarely measure them just squeeze/prod

For me thin tyres work over a wide range of pressures

The fat tyres are more sensitive to temperature

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Tyre pressures. How low do you go?’ is closed to new replies.