Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • tyre pressures hmmmm
  • beermonst3r44
    Free Member

So went out tonight on the ‘dale , and whilst not a crazy biker I do like to mess around a little . Anywho , whilst doing the smallest of jumps literally off grassy knolls etc nothing more than a foot max I felt my back tyre “twist” which was quite unnerving to say the least . I’m quite a lump at 15st , and I have 26psi in the back which I’ve been enjoying for comfort as much as anything . My tyres are conti race kings 2.2 . Do I need to be putting ore air in really ? I’m pretty sure it was th tyre twisting unless there is another underlying prob I’ve not noticed .

Superficial
    Free Member

15st is quite a lot, and 26psi isn’t. But yeah, you will get some tyre folding if you land a bit sideways or on a bit of a slope or an edge. It also depends on the rim / tyre combo. Unless it’s causing you to lose control or burp air then I probably wouldn’t worry about it.

garage-dweller

Just be grateful you didn’t bust the carcass – like I did a couple of weeks back doing pretty much the same…

jimjam
    Free Member

40psi in the back tonight, 12.5 stone. A few trails but mostly just grinding out miles, some trail centre, a few natural trails. I’d probably drop it to 30ish on something properly technical

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

40 psi is proper hard and I’d have thought you’d lose traction on corners . I used to like high psi but for what it’s worth its also nice to have a little comfort , and small bump absorption . I won’t be going back up to high psi anytime soon .

whitestone
    Free Member

Assuming tubeless?

If so then the usual formula would give a rear tyre pressure of 32psi. Try that and do the same jump and see what happens. If it’s OK then work back down to your current pressure. Also are you sure that your pressure gauge is accurate? My track pump differs from my digital gauge by at least 10% – it will show 40psi whereas the digital gauge will indicate 35psi. Either could be wrong.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

I’m having a few issues with my tubes tbh as I’ve got slime in them . Easy to pump. Up just not to let down ! Also reiks havoc with my digital gauge . My go back to normal tubes….

m360
    Free Member

26psi is low for tubes, especially with those tyres. I’d bet the slime is whats stopped you noticing any pinch flats…

I have to run 40psi to prevent pinch flats when playing around (ie jumping). Tend to stick with 35-40psi now anyway (and I do ok in the corners 😉 ). Been using contis with tubes for over a decade and this has always been the case. I am switching to tubeless soon, promise 😕

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’m a 11st and I flat if I go much below 30.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

I just my tyres before last night’s ride and hadn’t realised how flat they were . 20 psi rear 24 psi up front . So I banged 30 in either end , and went out . Very sketchy in comparison though obviously a bit quicker . Gonna come down 5 psi I reckon for a happy medium .

mikeep
    Free Member

I’ve heard that a good starting point is your weight in Stone x 2 = min PSI. Works well for me, 22 psi on 30mm internal tubeless.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘tyre pressures hmmmm’ is closed to new replies.