Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Tyre pressures for a long road ride
  • highlandman
    Free Member

I’m intrigued to hear the views of others on this. I’ve quite a long road ride planned for the weekend, around 200 miles in one go from east to NW Scotland. I’m expecting to both start in the dark and finish in the dark. While the route is all on roads or grit cycle paths and is therefore generally pretty good surfaces, I’ll be using 32mm road slick tyres. In recent years I’ve been steadily dropping pressures on these sort of longer rides and am now thinking about 55F/60rear psi to help keep me fresh over such a long day. What are others using? Outright speed is much less important to me than maintaining a good average over many hours.

Gary_M
    Free Member

What weight are you, I’m 70kg and no way I would ride with pressure that low.

highlandman
    Free Member

76kg; not had problems yet on many such rides, either on road slicks or CX semis.

aP
    Free Member

On a recent 600km road ride (with bar and seat packs) we were riding 38mm tyres at 45/50psi. The reduction in vibration makes a big difference to comfort and the added grip is welcome.

dizcostix
    Free Member

tillydog
    Free Member

Smidge under 70kg, 55F 65R all day on 28c tyres for tarmac / decent gravel. Much more comfortable than 80/80 that I started with, and not noticeably slower or more difficult. I do notice if I drop 5 psi below either of those. Also, I find 65 psi is marginal for rocky tracks, and a degree of self control is needed to avoid pinch flats, but 32c tyres will help with that.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

71kg here and 32mm tyres – 42F and 52R

I’ve been as low as 32/42 but more care is needed

jonba
    Free Member

Sounds about right to me assuming the risk of pinch flats is low. Probably about what I’d have on my CX for long distance gravel on the NCN.

Last proper long ride I did was on my race bike on tarmac. Didn’t make any changes and pumped the 25mm tyres up to normal 100psi. No load and figured being able to ride faster was as beneficial as taking a heavier fatter tyred bike. 703km for the willy waving hot seat.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

With 32mm real world tyre width (not many brands tell the truth), I’d be trying something between 45/65 and 50/70.

Based on ~89Kg for me plus road bike with ~42% load on front wheel.

On the Wazoo with 29ers fitted, I’d go between 44/67 and 49/75, with ~40% load on front wheel.

Given my road bike has endurance geometry with 610mm stack IIRC and my Wazoo has a 35mm stem, in both cases I might well be over estimating how much load is over the front.

Using the Fastfitnesstips free spreadsheet from earlier this year as a ballpark guide.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

80kg here, 28mm tyres, schwalbe pro 1 tubeless, and 60 psi f&r.

tillydog
    Free Member

Oh, and just to add: Stick with what you know for a long ride!

highlandman
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Aye, I usually do stick with what I know but am interested in what other do as I’m gradually dropping pressures from ride to ride. I do long rides a few times a year and making sure I’m still reasonably comfortable beyond ten hours and more is quite important. I’ll be on narrow and remote roads later on and need to be reasonably alert!

wicki
    Free Member

28c 65 psi 13 stone.

Daffy

75kg here and all tubeless:

28s 60/70
    32s 50/60 or 60/70 if fully loaded.

TiRed

I run my tubeless 32c Schwalbe G One Speeds at 80/85 F/R. They are a supple tyre and roll well at this pressure. higher than many would, but I like them. I run my 25c Paves at 85/90 – I rode 140 miles on them on Sunday fine.

I’m 68 kg and don’t ride loaded.

There is more to comfort than tyre pressures.

Daffy

There is more to comfort than tyre pressures.

True, but since the OP asked specifically about pressures and perhaps doesn’t want to change his frame, forks, wheels, saddle, bars and or stem, then we can only state what WE currently do. 🙂

For reference: my 32s are attached to a rigid aluminium girder of a bike known as a Niner RLT which is in turn attached to an Alfine 11 36 hole hub using 36 of the most flexible spokes I could buy (DT Rev) to lace it to an aluminium H-plus Son Archetype rim. without the spokes and pressures, I’m certain it would be more comfortable to be dragged behind it on my face.

kcal

hm, tubes, road rides, 68kg or so – have seen me up to around 70 or higher for road and rough roads.

tjagain

Odd one out here – OK my road bike has 23 mm tyres and is singlespeed but I run it at 100 psi front 110 rear.

fifeandy
    Free Member

60kg, run my 32c marathons at 65f/70r.
    If i was running a more supple tyre and/or tubeless i’d go 10psi lower

iainc

77kg and my CDF with 35c Crossspeeds feels most comfy on road with about 70psi both ends. Carbon Defy on 25’s suits about 85/90.

highlandman
    Free Member

Update: Bike was comfy all day; no issues with back, wrist or butt pain over the 15hrs. Tyres are 32mm Conti Grand Sport, run at 55F/58R. Am happy with the overall pace too, speedo tells me I averaged 14.3mph over the course of the day, so the softer tyres seem on balance to be a good compromise/net benefit.
    Frame is a recent CdF, home build with carbon fork, flat bars & stubby bar ends, lightish 28 spoke wheels and a mixed drivetrain.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Tyre pressures for a long road ride’ is closed to new replies.