Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tyre pressure recommendations
  • djen83
    Free Member

Got a 2.3 Kenda Blue Groove on the front and a Nevegal 2.1 on the back, I weigh around 13 1/2 St and ride a Kinesis XC>130. What psi would you recommend?

rjhazell
    Free Member

depends what riding your doing, if you wanna ride fast XC then 60 psi is a good start.

if you want more grip slightly less.

experiment, ride your local route from start to finish at different pressures and compare.

Liftman

60psi is far to high for a mountain bike, start of at 35 and go up or down as required.
    Ride to harsh lower the pressure
    Tyres to skwirmy the up the pressure

labsey
    Free Member

Depends what kind of surface you’re riding really and how bouncy/grippy you like your ride to be.

retrorick

I’m sure I heard chris boardman recommend 28psi on the olympic coverage the mtn bike race!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Squishy….but not Squooshy.Like a slightly over ripe melon or firm kiwi fruit.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

90kg – rubber queen BC- 35psi

bonchance
    Free Member

Once was told:

no harder than the ground

Still wonder quite what that means, but always comes to mind when I’m pumping away (!) But it does make me keep the conditions in mind..

For tubeless starting point; Stan’s say to take your all up weight in lbs / 7 . Take off 1 for front and add two for back as start point, the go up or down in 2psi increments. I found this still worked for 2.2ish tubed tyres if I added 2 psi..

Or just put 25psi in keep adding 2psi till it feels right cornering and you don’t hear or fell the rims on square edges 🙂

Have fun

PaulD
    Free Member

Check your gauge before you use it on a tyre…I have several and none are dead-on.
    Worst reads 20psi with a real 32psi in the tyre.

PaulD

johnhe

I personally use 30 psi as the starting point. When I started, 40 psi was my starting point, but nowadays I find 40 psi + just means I’m skipping from rock to rock.

Higher than 40 psi is pretty much reserved for roads I’d have thought, but everyone is different.

djen83
    Free Member

Thanks! Was running nearly 60 psi, will make some alterations!

Marge
    Free Member

I’m sure I heard chris boardman recommend 28psi on the olympic coverage the mtn bike race!

I thought I heard him say 5 bar during the ladies race yesterday….
    Uninformed??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tyre pressure recommendations’ is closed to new replies.