Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tyre pressure ? (I'm worse than a roadie I swim and run too)
  • rooney
    Free Member

Ok I’m used to 120psi as normal now on a mtb and loving it, looking at a few off road tri next year. Train mostly at glentress. Still unsure of what’s best tyre pressure fore different days / conditions?

Going from trail to mud paths etc?

I’m usually set at 40 psi no but been told to firm. I know tyres are an altogether different subject!

Cheers

J-R

Rooney, see a similar question earlier today.

PSI – Forum topic

As JoeG implies, you can use lower pressures on tubless becasue there are no worries about pinch flats.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends on many factors, your weight, riding style, tyre width etc.

Experiment.

And lower your road tyre pressures.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep no real answer something between 20 and 50 depending on tyre setup etc. I used to run low for the superb grip then I learnt how to ride better. Even after going tubeless I still run fairly firm. Last. However pressure should increase as number of spare tubes and distance from home increases

goatster
    Free Member

JR
    Where does this idea that tubeless equates to no pinch punctures come from? Yes there is no tube to pinch, but if you run tubeless tyres at low pressure and there are rocks you will pinch the tyre. Around here (Northwest) if you go lower than 30 – 35psi in a UST tyre you will wreck it…
    T

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

There is still a perception, from riding road bikes I think, that higher pressures mean faster rolling.

Knobbly tyres run faster and grippier off-road if they can deform to the terrain. That means having the pressure low enough so that they squash as fair bit when you are on the bike. Too low and you will get problems with pinch punctures and squirming in hard corners.

It will vary with tyres, tyre volume, rims, weight and riding speed/style, and terrain.

njee20
    Free Member

Around here (Northwest) if you go lower than 30 – 35psi in a UST tyre and you’re a clumsy 25 stone oaf you will wreck it…
    T

FTFY

goatster
    Free Member

No idea what ftfy means, however I do know how many £50 + ust tyres we sell… You keep running them soft, ill keep selling them.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

The difference, as I understand it, between road and off road pressures is the fact that a lower pressure softer tyre distorts to the uneven ground off road causing a lower rolling resistance. On a flat surface(road, towpaths) then a softer tyre will simply increase the contact patch and the rolling resistance.

GaryLake
    Free Member

15 front 20 rear on tubeless Hans Dampfs on a wide 29er rim. 75kg rider.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tyre pressure ? (I'm worse than a roadie I swim and run too)’ is closed to new replies.