Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tyre pressure gauges?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Any recommendations for something reliable for Presta valves?

igm

Halfords do an own brand one at £15ish that works well enough.

Check the range of pressures you need – fat at 5psi or roadie at 120+psi?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Halfords own brand track pump, Topeak Joe Blow track pump, Fox shock pump (for shocks obviously), all been reliable.

None of them show the same pressure, but that’s not important. So long as each time I use the same pump I hit the same mark, that’s all that matters.

Also… fingers. Most reliable gauge, portable and lasts a lifetime (until you get arthritis).

househusband

http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/review-sks-airboy-xl-pump-and-airchecker-pressure-gauge/

Been thinking about this gauge tested recently by STW, not that I need it… but when has that stopped me before!

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

+1 for top peak d2 really good and accurate

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I use the d2 and am really pleased with it.

Basil

Have on of these in the post Schwalbe Airmax

eddiebaby
    Free Member

So how do I use a Topeak D2 with slime filled tubes and tubeless tyres… 😳

whitestone
    Free Member

So how do I use a Topeak D2 with slime filled tubes and tubeless tyres

Just the same as with any other tyre – not had a problem with mine. If you’ve just added fluid then drain the valve by rotating it to the bottom of the wheel.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 for top peak d2 really good and accurate

how do you know?

I have a BBB digital gauge, and it is more precise than the analogue gauge on my cheap Airace track pump, but they both give similar pressures. Whether they are accurate or similarly inaccurate I have no idea as I’ve never had them calibrated.

mattyfez

I bought a topeak d2 digital guage just before Christmas.. I’m on Presta valves and I’m pleased with it.

I suppose it doesn’t lock onto the valve like a track pump does so you have to hold it on the valve, but other than that it seems great, well built, easy to use. Seems like a solid bit of kit that should last a long time.

mattyfez

As deadkenny mentioned.. It’s not so much that it’s perfectly calibrated (although I’ve no reason do doubt it’s too far out).. They key thing is to have a reliable repeatable reading so you can use it as a baseline to fine tune from.

Northwind

Aye, consistency is important, accuracy isn’t- who cares what your tyre pressure actually is? But if you’ve got more than one pump that can still be an issue, my joe blow used to read about 10psi higher than my airtower at 20psi (they both read the same at 100psi…)

The topeak gauge is good though- most useful is its adjustment mode, not all gauges will do that so you have to check pressure, reset, remove air, check pressure again. But it realtime adjusts which is handy. And it releases a decent amount of air while you do it unlike accugages.

JoeG
    Free Member

Schwalbe +1

mattyfez

I almost bought the schwalbe one.. But general online reviews seem to favour the d2.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tyre pressure gauges?’ is closed to new replies.