• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jobro.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Tyre pressure gauge
  • molly2202
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a small and accurate gauge? I replaced a pinch flat tube on the trail this week, and found that with my gas inflator two canisters leaves me at about 50psi (guessing) so had to then let air out, again guessing to what I thought was 35 psi. Figured I need a gauge to use when reliant on gas canisters ……..

Northwind

Presta valves? Schrader are easy, just get a car gauge but presta tend to be bulkier.

I reckon… If you can tell the difference, then just use your instincts, if you can’t then it’s probably not important. my pump has a little gauge but I don’t really use it, I just inflate to “feels alright” when I’m out riding.

molly2202
    Free Member

Should add, yes Presta valves…..

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve one of the Topeak digital gauges http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/smartgauge_d2 No idea if it’s truly accurate but it’s a lot easier to read than the dial on a pump.

Milkie
    Free Member

+1 for Topeak Smart Gauge, accurate, easy to use, suits both valve types.

Northwind

Smartgauge is ace but it’s not small

ssboggy

That Topeak one is good, we’ve got one at work and when checked against a calibrated gauge it was spot on

honourablegeorge
    FOG

Another + for the Topeak which was suggested when I posted this question a few months ago. Also does Schraedar valves

Dango
    Free Member

No help on the trail but I bit the bullet and bought a decent track pump recently and run tubeless

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezyne-sport-digital-drive-dv-track-pump/rp-prod131371

Pretty happy with it

40mpg

I use one of these.

Seems to work really well, and starts at a nice low 5psi with 0.5psi increments, which is great for the fatbike. Only £8 too! Schraeder and presta.

onandon
    Free Member

The Topeak one is worth the extra money.
    It can also be used a high pressure for forks and rear shoks

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 for Topeak Smart Gauge, accurate,

how do you know?

deejayen
    Free Member

I like my Topeak one, and its readings match those of my Blackburn track pump. It allows you to bleed the air out of a tyre while monitoring its pressure, which is handy.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Fingers. Squeeze, bit soft, add a bit more, bit hard, let some out. It’s the most accurate gauge along with riding and feeling you need more or less pressure. 😉

I’ve got various gauges though on variety of pumps and they all read different. Topeak included varying from friend’s Topeaks. I just pump it to a level I know is the same as I usually set. Not fussed whether 20psi is actually 20psi, just that it’s the same each time.

jobro
    Free Member

I use one of these.

So do I.

Had a Topeak. Was all over the shop in measurement (could have been a one off defective unit admittedly) and sent it back.

The Halfords one continues to work fine after three years.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Tyre pressure gauge’ is closed to new replies.