Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tyre Pressure?
  • taka
    Free Member

what do you run yours at?

at 18.5stn i run 50psi in front and rear on both full sus and ht any less that 45psi and i feel like the tyre folds and im always thinking ive got a flat rear tyre.. and about 110psi on a roadbike

chrisjnr
    Free Member

i was told 42 on both, by my local bike shop 🙂

safi

I run at 50 psi at both ends.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nicolaisam
    Free Member

32 front 35 rear.I am 16st

TheGreatStonk
    Free Member

2.3 minion front @ 25psi
    2.1 monorail rear @ 28psi

13 stone rider, full susser.

southernsteel
    Free Member

Between 25-30 psi on my hardtail in the rocky peaks. I’m about 12 1/2 stone I think.

timwillows
    Free Member

Firm squeeze front and rear, thinking of moving to moderate to firm squeeze to give better traction in the mud. Moderate squeeze gives too many snake bite punctures.

chiefgrooveguru

Would it be better to think in terms of contact patch? Assume the average rider and bike total 200lbs, rides tyres that are 2.2″ wide on the ground at 30psi, therefore the contact patch length is ((200/30)/2.2)/2=1.5″.

Go to narrower tyres and pressure has to go up to maintain contact patch length. Increase weight and pressure has to go up. Assuming you’re on HR 2.35 or similar size tyres you’d need pressure around 44psi for an 18.5 stone rider, as you’ve found!

However, weight tends to be split 40/60 F/R so your rear tyre should be 20% harder, your front 25% softer, so instead of 30/30 you’d have 23/36.

Obviously this can be done by hand once you’ve calibrated your manual pressure meter.

In theory…

jamesb
    Free Member

depends on terrain and ground conditions, anything from 32 psi in 2.25″ Advantages to 45 psi in Schwalbe Black Shark 2.1″, I weigh 85kg. BUT as above I`m veering towards the squeeze test 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Weigh lots (16+) and now down to 30psi all round on tubeless (26″ 2.0 mud x and 29er 2.1 ignitor) from 40-50 when I was running tubes. No problems and doesn’t seem any slower though they definitely grip better

Dancake
    Free Member

95KG 35 rear and around 28 front on fat tyres. ran tubeless 29er tyres lower than that ( I like a squidgy front if the sidewalls are strong enough)

If I am doing any miles, the 2.0’s go on and its 45/35

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Is this thread for real or is it some sort of parody.?

R.lepecha

Just the thread I was looking for.
    Although my pressures have changed, 41 front 46 rear 10 stone rider.
    There only that high because the minimum on the front is 40psi and I kept hitting the rim when trying to ride up stairs, slowly.

DrP

Last time I noticed it felt weird, the front tyre was at about 16psi….. Pumped it up a ‘bit’, now it feels less weird.
    That’s science for ya…..

DrP

tazzymtb

less than 40psi or stans rims and tyres separate at high speed 😀

usually in the mid 20’s tubeless on a 29er with 2.25’s on 72kg rider

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

30/35 in 2.1 ADvantage. I could feel the rim with 30 on the back. 40+ and the seem to ping all over the shop.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Taka – 18.5 stone? Typo?

schmiken

Around 22-27 psi depending on conditions, 11st 13 rider on an XC hardtail.

oldgit
    Free Member

40 off road.
    120/140 on road.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tyre Pressure?’ is closed to new replies.