Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tyre options for Alpe d'huez
  • backtothetop
    Free Member

Im off to Alpe d’huez in July for the week leading up to the Megavalanche and the main event itself,

Ive built a fairly high spec orange alpine up for this but the only thing ive not decided on is tyres,(tubeless 26″) its another few weeks till ill have the cash to buy rubber so researching the options now.

I currently have Magic Marys at the top of the list

tomhoward

I took dual ply front and rear minions 42a 2.5s. Couldn’t fault them.

kayak23

Deffo think dual ply are needed. It’s rocky as hell in the top sections, probably worth it even with draggy bits.

cultsdave
    Free Member

I was thinking of using Super Gravity Schwalbe Hans Dampfs but haven’t decided. Will they be tough enough?

chakaping
    Free Member

Group of us did it last year. I quickly went from Maxxis “Exo” tubeless to DH tyres with DH tubes.

Friend had a good result with Schwalbe super gravity tyres tubeless though. They must be that bit sturdier than the Exo carcasses.

lister11
    Free Member

Done it 4 times.

2.35 dual ply minion. Mounted tubeless to flow rims. Front.

Dual ply 2.35 Larsen TT. Again tubeless. Rear.

Granted, the Larsen is a hard find now (i bought a couple spare a while back)

Faultless. Faster rolling rear (a must) but enough grip in the turns. Classic front.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I ran some WTB Dissent tyres, tubeless.

It was only after the event that I checked them with my mate’s digital pressure gauge. I’d been running them at 16psi! No wonder they gripped so well!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tyre options for Alpe d'huez’ is closed to new replies.