Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tyre Mounting
  • covertbaz
    Free Member

Anyone out there got any tips for tyre mounting tips?

Lucky enough to have recently purchased some carbon wheels, but when fitting the tyres (Vee tire) I literally had to wrestle with them to get them on, to this end they have end up not quite seated properly – ie they are on and they blow up, but when wheel rotates you can see the deformation of tyre, makes the wheels look as if they are buckled if that helps visualise it.

I’ve got to take the tyres off anyway to set the wheels up tubeless, but don’t want to wrestle again if I can help it and would perfer to get the tyres sat better than they are currently.

Any help greatfully received

scaredypants

diluted washing-up liquid on the bead or rim before inflating – especially when going tubeless

joshvegas
    Free Member

^this

and more pressure

Cowman

Didn’t believe that washing up liquid would work as well as it does. Try it

covertbaz
    Free Member

Its getting the tyre onto the rim in the first place thats the difficult bit

everyone
    Free Member

Look for the crank brothers speed lever. It works an absolute charm for me.

rickon
    Free Member

If you’ve got a tube in there, then that’ll make a huge difference to how tight the tyre will be.

Washing up liquid isn’t going to help you get the tyre onto the rim in reality, it’ll help remove the friction, so it’ll seal quicker.

When you want to do is make sure the tyre bead is in the well of the rim, all the way round, when you’re seating the tyre – keep running your fingers around the bead to make sure it’s still in the well.

covertbaz
    Free Member

Nice one thanks all, gonna swap over to tubeless this evening, wish me luck!!

irc

But some combinations of rims and tyres are almost impossible. I threw out some Nokian tyres as it was a major effort to get them on a MTB disc only rim. Same rim and other tyres still tough but manageable.

I think disc only rims with a shallower well makes it tougher.

+1 for a soapy water solution to help seat the tyre once in place. I had one rim on which tyres didn’t want to seat properly and soapy water along with sufficient pressure popped them into place.

rickon
    Free Member

Although the OP’s managed to get the tyre onto the rim with a tube in, so without a tube it’ll definitely go on, and definitely easier.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tyre Mounting’ is closed to new replies.