Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tyre halps pls: monstercommutecross
  • Bez

Chasing an impossible dream here, wondering if I’ve missed anything.

Looking for something to stick on the MTB (Longitude) to double it up as a singlespeed commuter (mixed surfaces, 30 miles) by way of a dinglespeed: one ratio for MTBing and the other for commuting.

So:

– 29 by at least 2″ so that the dinglespeed doesn’t get difficult to configure
    – as fast-rolling on tarmac as reasonably possible
    – not completely lethal on loose/wet off road
    – if possible, folding bead, reflective sidewalls, and cheap because I’m tight

The longlist currently contains Schwalbe Big Bens and Marathon Plus MTBs, and Conti Double Fighter IIIs.

Owt else around?

Cheers

oldnpastit

I’ve been down a similar road.

Unless your life is even emptier than mine, which I seriously doubt, it is too short to waste any more of it than absolutely necessary in commuting.

Get some gears.

You’re worth it!

Bez

Waste time commuting? It’s almost the only chance I get to ride (though even then it’s become a rarity). The longer it takes the better 🙂

Anyway, got plenty of gears on other bikes, just fancy some singlespeeding on the side.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jkomo

Vittoria Voyager from PX. Cheap and awesome.
    I use on my commute, road,paths, gravel,mud.
    25 miles each way.

fifeandy
    Free Member

If your rims can do tubeless i’d like at XC race tyres. Specifically a Race King 2.2 Protection comes to mind. The black chilli compound is really fast and quite durable (even on tarmac), and the tubeless gives you puncture protection. And whilst not cheap at RRP, can often be found on sale.
    If you can take going slightly narrower than 2″, the WTB Riddler 45c looks like a really good bet.
    Think there are some new sizes of Schwalbe G-One coming this year too, but definitely miss the ‘cheap’ criteria.

Bez

Vittoria Voyager from PX.

Thanks, but 38mm is too small, and it seems to have no tread to speak of. I’ve got some Conti Contact 37s which would be at least as good.

If you can take going slightly narrower than 2″, the WTB Riddler 45c looks like a really good bet.

Mm, looks like a candidate, though yes, definitely narrower than I’d like. The LBS had some 2″ Nine Lines in the bargain bin last week; kind of contemplating those if they’re still there. Race King looks potentially suitable too. Thanks.

benp1

WTB Nano 2.1 are very fast rolling on tarmac and great off road in certain conditions. OK when wet rocks but when it’s slippery mud or grass they’re not so great

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

2.35″ G-One Speeds?

Bez

Thanks. Googled the Nano but judging by this report of wear rate, they’d probably only last a handful of commutes.

WTB Nano Race 29er 2.1″ Tire Review

Bez

Mm, someone suggested G Ones to me. Look perfect for summer, less so for winter, don’t think they’ve got as much tread as I need. (I suspect the Big Ben is heading off my list for the same reason.)

thomthumb
    Free Member

scwalbe smart sam

loved mine in 47c. (for sale if you are interested) I’m sure they do a biger version.

porkscratching
    Free Member

I’m going to be putting these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/continental-travel-contact-wire-road-tyre/rp-prod83063 on my geared 2015 Longitude for muddy country lane commuting this winter.

I’ve had them before, no punctures and they’re the quickest I’ve found on the road – fairly lethal off road though until you get a bit of depth to the mud for the nobblies to do something. Unfortunately the sidewalls are very thin and my last set developed a massive bulge after a year.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If you want something with more tread than G-Ones, ~2″ Landcruisers are a very safe option.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tyre halps pls: monstercommutecross’ is closed to new replies.