Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Tyre Fitting
  • auldy
    Free Member

Got myself a set of Continental Vertical ( non folding ) tyres at the weekend and cannot get them seated properly on the WTB Speedisk rims my bike has. The wire bead will sit properly in the rim about 80% of the way round but the other 20% sits just inside the rim causing what I can only describe as a “flat spot” on the tyre – has anyone else had issues like this or is the tyre/rim combination wrong ?

franki
    Free Member

Is it by the valve?
    If so, let the tyre down, push the valve up into the tyre a bit, seat the bead and pull the valve back down.

If it’s not by the valve…beats me. 😕
    Let the air out and whack it with your palms all the way round before re-inflating?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tried using soapy water on the bead?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have had exactly this issue. Lots of soap on the bead and pump it up really hard ( 70 psi) and probably the bead will pop into place Other things to try are pumping the tyre to 15 psi and try to pull the bead into place and getting the tyre warm or stretching it first.

Part of the issue I had was a wide rim strip getting in the way

auldy
    Free Member

Thanks chaps – will try the “soapy bead” method 🙂

scuttler

I’d never seen this before until I had exactly the same problem last night fitting a Kenda Nevegal to a WTB Speed Disc. The general consensus is either talc on the inner tube and inside of the rim, or soapy water on the bead and inside of the rim, followed by some high pressure. Anyway I just went in to the garage to sort it but figured I’d opt for just high pressure (75psi) first and pop – on it went.

So try pressure first and failing that, stick some soapy water on the bead and rim and try again.

EDIT – I always give the tyre a good flexing after about 15psi to make sure everything’s seated properly but I couldn’t for the life of me sort this problem out in the same way. Maybe the rim tape is damaged.

Matt

coffeeking
    Free Member

Always found this is because I’ve tightened the valve into the rim too far before pumping it up (bad idea but a strange habit I cant shake!)

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Interesting, I’ve had the same problem with WTB SpeedDiscs, Mud X’s & Nevegals. 80psi pops the Nevs on but the Mud X’s are a right b*gger. I’ll try and remember the tips for when the winter tyres go back on.

scuttler

I had Mud X’s on WTB SpeedDiscs no problem (the Mud X’s just came off). Just one of the two Nevegals was a git which makes me think that the tape is a bit wonky but I really can’t be arsed checking now it’s all sorted.

sv

On the upside they hold the tyre bead really well at low pressures! (WTB Trail)

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve had similar things, and fixed it by putting a little bit of air in, and dropping/bouncing the wheel on the tyre repeatedly.

Joe

auldy
    Free Member

Got the tyres fitted ok now – used some soapy water on the problem areas and pumped the tyre pressure right up until it popped into place . . . result !!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Tyre Fitting’ is closed to new replies.