Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Tyre explosion today – advice required!
  • tsportmat
    Free Member

Hi all,

I was cycling home from work today, I head a loud bang and my rear tyre tube had burst! I was riding slowly along a flat road.

Upon closer examination, the inner tube (Slime) had exploded and there’s a large hole in my fairly new Continental Rubber Queen 2.2 🙁

I will point out that my rear wheel is a Mavic Crossland, and the tyre was very difficult to get on, it’s extremely tight where the bead is in the groove of the rim. The bead part is still in groove and the tyre has ripped away from the bead, slime is dripping everywhere. I didn’t notice any glass or anything to tear my tyre, it would have to be 1-2″ above the road. I suppose it could have been a pothole.

I’d like some advice on where to go now, and choosing a suitable tyre, as I think the Rubber Queen’s bead was too tight. I’m also weighing up the possibility of running tubeless.

Any experience with this rim would be helpful cheers.

Trimix
    Free Member

Sounds like the tyre wall wore out and the tube poped out and burst.

Tyres do wear out, they flex at the wall so it may not be due to glass or anything like that. Check your running the correct pressure (35-40psi) for you and your tyre.

Look on http://www.nextdaytyres.com for a new tyre. Get a kevlar beaded tyre as it may be eaiser to get on/off the rim. Not all of them are tight, but that can depend on the rim you use. My rims allow me to remove tyres with just my thumbs.

Northwind

Quite a lot of people have reported problems with the RQs bursting or deforming sidewalls, known fault.

tsportmat
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, I was running 35-40psi. The tyre was less than a year old, with little hard riding.

I do think that my inner tube was running above it’s rating (2.2 tyres which looked quite high volume, inner tubes were probably rated for 2.0).

The Maxxis High-Roller 2.35 wire-on looked a decent price (£20-£25 is my limit), I might try that, is that usually tight?

onehundredthidiot

Your running a 2.0 tube in a 2.2 tyre?

Might that be part of the issue?

tsportmat
    Free Member

Perhaps, I upgraded my tyre but didn’t bother to change the inner tube. I still wouldn’t expect it to blow a hole in my tyre like that, but I could be wrong…

Northwind

Nothing to do with the tube- the tube’s burst because the tyre’s burst.

tsportmat
    Free Member

I didn’t see your earlier reply until now, Northwind – thanks for that. Do you think an overly tight ‘grip’ of the bead could affect it?

I’ll definitely try something else if it’s relatively common.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Tyre explosion today – advice required!’ is closed to new replies.