Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • tyre exploding road ride!
  • The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Arrhh expensive ROAD ride this morning! I somehow managed destroy the sidewall which then blew the tyre off the rim which got stuck in the stays which meant I ended up riding along on the rim whilst skidding to a stop.

So that’ll be:
    New tyre – check
    New rim – possibly
    Lift home from a random family – check

I tried mounting the tyre and patching the hole with cardboard to very little success and then a family pulled over and offered me a list to my village some 25km’s away.

Think I can file the rim down and use it OK?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Good that you had nice kind people stop to help you out.

What caused it to blow out like that?

Rim should be ok if you file and sand it smooth. I’ve spannered deformed/dented sidewalls back straight and they’ve bin ok.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yeah really lucky, I hadn’t even started thinking about flagging someone down as I was still trying to bodge a fix.

Nothing in road after a quick scan, and the odd thing was that the tube was still inflated!

Will try some smoothing out tonight thanks for the tip.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dancake
    Free Member

did you avoid a crash? Awesome work!

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Yeah, rear wheel locked up and I skidded into a large snow bank at the side of the road, seemed quite graceful at the time 😉 Luckily I had just corned through 90 degrees so was nowhere near training speed.

brakes
    Free Member

did you hear a loud crack?
    looks like the damage a .22 might make

scaredypants

if racing ralphs are anything like nobby nics you probably had a gnatstrike incident

mrmo
    Free Member

do you run those tyres at low pressure? i only ask because i see what appear to be diagonal lines on the sidewall indicative of running the tyre too soft?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I’ve run NN’s on the front and RR’s on the back for the last 3 seasons and not had any issues.

They were around 50/60 PSI today, so not super soft, although it was around minus 5, (air temps make a difference?).

My cross bike has a small issue with lateral bottom bracket movement so I thought I’d use the reliable MTB on the roads, oh well stuff happens.

scaredypants

I somehow managed destroy the sidewall which then blew the tyre off the rim

obviously I wasn’t there but surely that’s vice versa ?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘tyre exploding road ride!’ is closed to new replies.