Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tyre disappointment
  • baronspudulike
    Free Member

I've just recently moved up to West Cumbria and I've been out around Skiddaw and Whinlatter most weeks. For the last 10 years I've been in West Yorkshire and over the last couple of years I've been running Kenda nevegal/blue groove R/F combo in 2.35" and they've been great. But I've put 2.1" (35psi) on my bike and so far the front has wiped out twice on me, once causing a lot of knee pain and heavy bruising, and the back end just gets pushed out of line and if I lift up off the saddle they just spin out. I ended up going out on Panaracer Razor MX tyres around Skiddaw after a week of rain as the Kenda's had been so bad, and they were great compared to the Kenda's. Just back from Whinlatter on the Kenda's and they were awful again.

Has anyone found some tyres just don't work in certain places?

Has anyone tried the new Panaracer Rampage 2.1" and know if they are better? Or maybe 2.1" cinders?

Going out expecting your tyres to washout and then have them do it isn't making biking fun!!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Maxxis Ignitors in the Mud, unless you like tail out slidy ness everywhere, which to be honest is fun in my book.

Non-black chilli mountain kings are fekkin lethal on any terrain

matt_outandabout

I totally agree about them feeling diferent on different rock/mud/sandy/loamy etc conditions.

Having said that, I am a one tyre at a time person (went from Conti Verts int Peak, to Nobby Nics to Mountain kings (urghh) to Ardents in the Highlands now…

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Not sure what the mountain needs to be made of for Mountain Kings to grip, but I'm yet to find it!

Came on new bike, can't wait to get rid of them!!

angryratio
    Free Member

Silly tyres can be fun, if the front is the issue something like a minion in the tackier compounds on the front would be grand.

I get on really well with eskars (specialized) on most surfaces.

oh and try dropping 5 psi…
    quite often that can make a massive difference to some tyres.

When i first got some continental verticals they were awful, however, run tubeless at lower pressure they were superb.

Fletcher
    Free Member

I like Nobby Nics, great on most surfaces IMO.

baronspudulike
    Free Member

I've run them at 30psi before and got snakebite puncture on the front when it slipped out off camber, might try it again on wednesday when I'm next out though.

TomB

I ride all round the Lake District on Maxxis Minion/advantage combo with no probs. Mate bought a bike that came with mountain kings, first time out at whinlatter, which in certain conditions can be very slick, he was spinning just pedalling sat down.

Welcome to the area, by the way!

Tom (Keswick)

tony24
    Free Member

ive got the panracer rampage but in the 2.35 variant i have tried nevegals , and maxxis ignitors and i prefer the panracer by miles roll faster on road and grip better on generally everything I highly rate them !

They also got a fair few good reviews 😀

Del

2.35 panaracer rampage i can spin out on the SS climbing on cold and damp ( not frozen! ) tarmac. compared to cheap shit nevegal/blue groove ( wire bead, OEM, 11 quid a go from wooly hat shop ), i go for the kendas.
    you need a man-size 2.35 though 😉

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Geax Barros were disapointing.
    Never trust what they say on the webnet

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hmmmmm… I just bought the missus some Mountain Kings for her new bikes… Not entirely sure I'm happy with that now in the face of all the comments!!!!

She didn't have any problems at Llandagallollouw on Sunday though… as far as I am aware!

tony24
    Free Member

2.35 panaracer rampage i can spin out on the SS climbing on cold and damp ( not frozen! ) tarmac. compared to cheap shit nevegal/blue groove ( wire bead, OEM, 11 quid a go from wooly hat shop ), i go for the kendas.
    you need a man-size 2.35 though

suppose it depends how much tarmac you want to ride on generally i am riding on mud 😆

t-p26
    Free Member

Whinlatter Skiddaw at weekends for me too.Mixture of High roller/ Larsen/ BLING BLING. Works every time. You mean some people DONT use Maxxis? 😳

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I am very impressed with the kendas (2.35),Whinllater is sketchy though, and tyre pressures make a big difference if its wet.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Mountain Kings.

Stuck a set of 2.4 folding on my bike and loved them. On my local trails they had loads of grip.
    Went to Whinlatter in October, peeing it down with rain and the slate rock was like oiled glass….

MK's nearly killed me! Actually spoilt my ride as i was so scared of crashing off at speed.

Still work lovely on the local millstone grit/peat/sandy tracks around here though. 😕

jam-bo

maxxis advantages. best tyres ever. slowly replacing the tyres on all my bikes with them.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I have never had any problems with MKs 🙄

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tyre disappointment’ is closed to new replies.